The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

tim-ater said:
but macs dont always cost a million squid.

Though my point was you are paying the premium for the design mostly, which is pretty much double the cost of a pc...

Especially if you look at mac pro, which are an absolute work of art, but three/four times more expensive than a pc.

Though my point was you are paying the premium for the design mostly, which is pretty much double the cost of a pc...

what's wrong with paying for the design? if it's a masterpiece surely it's worth it?

tim-ater said:
what's wrong with paying for the design? if it's a masterpiece surely it's worth it?

Yes I think so, but the whole point was weighing up whether to spend nearly double on a new macbook that looks nice, or getting a pc that is much better spec for half the price

but you cant say that the spec matters that much being as neither machines are aiming at one single OS, they're aiming at two very separate OSs.

Leopard is way more lightweight and flexible compared to hard ass vista.

There are obviously more options than vista; not necessarily microsoft and you could even install glorious OSX on a pc if you wanted... maybe against apple's permission

apple is also about experience. we get tens of people in every day who just want to play around on a mac because it looks good and you feel cool! seriously. that's kinda why PC world isn't packed.

windows vista is not actually that bad an os, windows 7 builds on this os. Vista is a more user orientated os and is much faster than xp in many ways.

As to leopard being lightweight, not so sure on that, last time I checked it required pretty much the same spec hardware as windows to get the best out of it.

ok, I tried running big apps on os-x with 1GB and found it excruciatingly slow (macbook), maybe you have different expectations but I had the same performance with windows and 1GB.

i dont have that problem.
i'm running photoshop/illustrator/safari on my macbook (2008, white) and it/s all fine.

I was only using photoshop and it felt slow, the hd was nearly empty and there was nothing else running so we must have different expectations or requirements.

Well, my main computer is a Early 2008 MacBook that I now have put on the backburner because of a problem that means I have to take a trip to the Apple Store tonight :(

But now that I have started my home learning course, they only support Windows, and thats what all the software (Dreamweaver, Expression Web etc) come with so looks like my PC is going to be my main computer now.

Macs are amazing pieces of equipment *UNTIL THEY GO WRONG*, in which case you will be paying through the teeth to get it sorted :(

But still at the end of the day, I would much rather be on a Mac than a PC :)

Macs are the best I love them they are just built for creatives!! although when i'm at work i have to use a PC and i can't really tell that much of a difference ...i just miss hitting the F9 button when i have a lot of docs up on the screen on a PC and want to toggle between them!

Macs are amazing pieces of equipment *UNTIL THEY GO WRONG*, in which case you will be paying through the teeth to get it sorted

it's called "apple care".

you're stupid not to buy it. because of the such high quality parts you wont see a repair for much less than £200. apple care cost £195.

tim-ater said:
it's called "apple care".

you're stupid not to buy it. because of the such high quality parts you wont see a repair for much less than £200. apple care cost £195.
if the parts of are such high quality then the product should last longer (normal use) than the three years you get with applecare or apple should offer a 3yr warranty as part of the package :rolleyes:

at the end of the day, it's a machine.
machines can break. nothing is break-proof.

and apple dont include it as:

1. they're not a discount brand, that's why you wont find any offers except for business/students.
2. because apple want their computers to be exclusive to people who can afford it, people who believe their computer is an investment.

must have hit a nerve with my post.

Its true that machines will break, but if they are being sold as in your words with high quality parts then the need to purchase an additional warranty for the life of the machine (I class a pc lifespan as 3 years) should not really be needed if its only used for normal use. Obviously if its used in a way that is outside of a normal user then its going to fail quicker, all products have tolerances that need to be adhered to for optimal lifespan.

Yes you are always going to have a percentage fail but is it fair that we should pay for the additional warranty on a 'premium' product because of the defects from faulty hardware that were supplied to the user.

Cars are now being sold with 7 year warranties, plenty of other electronic devices come with greater than 1 year warranty, if apple believed in the quality of their machines then they would offer the 3 year warranty as part of the product (atleast on the pro range).
Hell I've got a tft panel thats about 8 year old and apart from the psu block failing after about 6 years it is still working just as well as when I first got it, and that's with it being transported up and down the country for several years too while I was at uni!.

Back