The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

*wants to try again but has decided not to start a flinging match over which has better components as they are just different*

correct.

im bored of comparing.

you either appreciate them (and the phrase "you get what you pay for") or you dont at all. your choice.

anyway i cant talk about the products so shh :p

I agree, you do get what you pay for, you pay for a pc you get one, you pay for a mac you get one, I would hope if I paid for a mac I wouldnt get a pc and vice versa....

everything else is just trivial, some people will always have bad experiences with both
some people will always have reasons for preferring one or the other
some people will always be biased
and some people really don't care.

I still would prefer to spend £1000 on a desktop with top end specs than double(?) that for the other, but that's just me :) (got to give my opinion)

I agree, you do get what you pay for, you pay for a pc you get one, you pay for a mac you get one, I would hope if I paid for a mac I wouldnt get a pc and vice versa....

har har

and not double anymore. you can get 16GB of RAM, 2TB HDD, Quad Core for just about £2000, you can get 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, for about £1,300

Actually the base 27" imac isn't too badly priced, pity apple didn't actually put a current generation gpu (ati are on the 5xxx series now) in rather than being a generation behind but as a whole its not too bad considering the led display. There's a mark up of probably (working on pc parts) around 10% I'd say, possibly more as Apple would get bulk purchasing reductions.

Still wouldn't buy one for myself as I'd rather spend the same amount on a quadro based rig with 12gig of ram but no screen (I have plenty of them already) and with 2x1TB and a 64GB SSD along with a motherboard capable of taking an i9 6 core cpu when it comes out :)

Personally I've been a platform whore.
I always owned a PC from win3.1 to XP, but used Macs at school and uni, so I was fine with either.
And while a looked-after PC will normally run fine, I've found Macs to be more hassle-free in the paraoid security department.
About a year ago I was facing the choice for my next system - Vista or Mac. And getting the chance to play with the aluminium intel Mac at work made up my mind, and like many I wouldn't go back to PC now.

I'm aware of my mates boss, who runs a financial-related company blah blah blah, all PCs where they work, and then the man got a Mac for home. Apparently he spent the next day cursing that he couldn't switch to all Macs for work too haha.

Yup, thats the one. Bless the fools that thought it would make the network insecure and that it'd be impossible to connect it anyway. Actually wait, no don't bless them. Pity the fools!

Just wanted to have my say. I like macs, would like to have one and probably would if some many people (non designers weren't getting them for the coolness factor). Also just got a HP Workstation z600,
8 core Intel Xeon E5506 2.13ghz
8gig Ram DDR3-1333
Nvidia Quadro Fx1800 768MB
500gb SATA 7200 rpm

looks good, case and arcitecture by BMW and a HP2475w 24" monitor, I also looked at macs and the equivalent would have cost about US$1,000 (700/800 pounds more)

also I live in small country in SE Asia and about 99.9999% of all my customers use PC and I am worried about compatability issues. Allready encountered some working at a magazine heree with PC's and having files create on Macs send to us for advertising.

also I live in small country in SE Asia and about 99.9999% of all my customers use PC and I am worried about compatability issues. Allready encountered some working at a magazine heree with PC's and having files create on Macs send to us for advertising.

coolio, but what programs created the issue?

just out of curiosity.

A couple of TIFFs/Indesign Files we got from OMEGA (Cindy Crawfords Advert) not quite sure what the problems where but guess that the TIFFS were created with Mac Byte Orders.

Also there is another reason for Pc here rather than mac. To use the local language script we have to install seperate language software, Lao Software for Windows (not mac). Mac an only use one unicode font so this limits badly. All fonts are created for PC's. So would have to use Vista loaded on a Mac which kinda kills the reason for getting a mac in the 1st place.

Also no Mac support here. So if things go wrong have to get to Bangkok for repairs major hassle.

Back