The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

I've used a mac for about 30 seconds to look on the net (so no different) and have no idea about OS X.
Transferring files included.

I'll look up onetoone, it is useful having a mac expert on here ;) haha

lol if i'm an expert you should seriously see what the other nerds at the apple store are like.

within 5 minutes they taught me like 50 new things about a program i thought i knew inside out.

(L) apple.

Nice, I feel it would benefit me to have one, but its just a big gamble with that kind of money when I know a Desktop PC would make me happy anyway

it may be a gamble for you to spend a lot of money, but it's not a gamble on the quality of the product.

no viruses (yes, i'm still pushing that point), no complications, beautiful machine.

I cant remember the last time a virus was a problem on my PC however. I know the mac is definately a good product, its whether it is right for me. Enjoying your job by the way?

yeah but how much time/money did you invest into protecting your PC? making sure nothing dodgy was being downloaded, or making sure all the right programs were installed?

and honestly, if you go into the apple store and explain exactly what you're looking for they'll straight out recommend whether it's best for you to keep your PC or get a Mac.

and yeah, the job is amazing. it's surprising how many people come in and say "i want it" after 30 seconds of consideration.

it's also nice to make people smile. i was chatting to a guy for 50 minutes today who wanted a base 17" MBP, so after talking him through how that would let him move forwards he told me he was a uni student. so i told him about the iPod touch rebate offer, plus his 15% discount as a uni student.

the look on his face was just plain cool.

Editing your post, changed size after I refreshed haha.

Yeh I suppose it took some time perfecting my use to avoid them, but then there are virus' on macs just less common.

That's good to know, are you not on commission?

Thats good!

Haha, yeh thats why I'm lookin at getting the 13" MBP with 8GB I-Touch. About £750 total at the moment...

there are virus' on macs just less common.

there's one super virus, but Apple patched over it in a week.

That's good to know, are you not on commission?

Thats good!

Haha, yeh thats why I'm lookin at getting the 13" MBP with 8GB I-Touch. About £750 total at the moment...

no commission, no nothing. we work on pleasing the customer and giving the appropriate solution to the customer's problem.

That's cool, I always worried it was on commission so going in would warrant them pouncing on me with bad advice to get some money. haha

Apple (uk) sounds better and better the more you talk about them haha :p

I've been considering getting a MacBook White. But I'm still not sure about it because I'm used to Vista. I'd need to use it for designing, coding and World of Warcraft as well as the usual stuff. What do you think?

Buy the Mac. I'd buy the aluminium MacBook.
Install Vista (if you must) but get used to OSX (shouldn't take long).

Best of both worlds. Sorted

I've been considering getting a MacBook White. But I'm still not sure about it because I'm used to Vista. I'd need to use it for designing, coding and World of Warcraft as well as the usual stuff. What do you think?

if you're using it to design the white MacBook wont hold out too well compared to a 13.3" unibody.

Apple store birmingham have a load of last generation unibody MacBooks at the mo, it might be worth checking your local store, especially as you may be able to grab one for the same price as the white MacBook.

also, if you're struggling with the OS you can purchase OneToOne, which basically enables data transfer from your previous computer to your new Mac, plus how many tutorials you want from our team, so they'll teach you round the OS or a pro app, or iLife, or iWork, whatever floats your boat.

tim-ater said:
if you're using it to design the white MacBook wont hold out too well compared to a 13.3" unibody.
Um, aren't the current macbook and macbook pro 13" basically the same hardware apart from the ddr2 and ddr3 ram respectively and the screen (they both need calibrating) which might not be an issue anyway :confused:

I'm sure that most benchmarks show the difference the ram makes as negligible, obviously the screen might be an issue but I've not seen the new macbook pro in person yet so can't say how that looks.

Yes the metal is harder wearing but is it worth the extra?

If you were on about the older macbook with the intel gpu then yeah thats rubbish :)

Doesn't the unibody have better performance due to the superior cooling, 1066 ram and faster processor..?

I see. But what about the MacBook Pro? Will that be okay for my needs? Sorry for the noob questions, I know very little about Macs.

What's the difference between a macbook and a macbook unibody and a macbook pro?

*confused*

and in the same situation as silver firefly where I know very little about macs.

The macbook pro is the unibody, it is engineered from of a single block of aluminium.

the macbook is the traditional white plastic style notebook.

Back