The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

Mac - design
PC - gaming

First mac i got 2yrs ago..would never go back to pc for design work...
only downside to a mac is compatibility for example syncing mobiles etc...

I've yet to see a single valid argument for a Mac over a PC for design. Keep trying folks...

It's all down to personal preference, as I said, not necessarily about which is better statistically or physically, but what you find you can work on.

My workstation at my work, 2 computers (mac using laptop screen and external monitor, and one pc (xp) running one external monitor), 3 monitors, using synergy so only need to use one keyboard and mouse to control both computers without the need to switch.

Turned to Mac a few years ago and have never looked back.

n521060709_6280733_2152899.jpg

I only have one computer (*shock*) and it runs Vista. I hear people have a lot of problems with it but it has always worked for me.

I've never tried using a Mac, so I can't really make an opinion on what's "better".

Everything I do on Windows, I do faster on a Mac. And I've used Windows far longer than I have used Macintosh, about 18 months, opposed to several years of Windows.

Besides that, and I know this isn't much of a valid point, there seem to be more developer tools available for Mac than there are for Windows. But I can't confirm this because I can't say I'm up-to-date with Windows software.

Ive always used windows but have played with a Mac in the past. One thng that baffles me with Mac's is that they are made for graphic design, multimedia work etc etc. So why do they always seem to have such small hard drive space? I mean if ur video editing etc and want to store files, your pretty much going to run out of space quite soon. Another thing is PSD's are never small in size so why do Mac's always lack space? I'm interested what Mac users think on this, thanks guys :)

Ive always used windows but have played with a Mac in the past. One thng that baffles me with Mac's is that they are made for graphic design, multimedia work etc etc. So why do they always seem to have such small hard drive space? I mean if ur video editing etc and want to store files, your pretty much going to run out of space quite soon. Another thing is PSD's are never small in size so why do Mac's always lack space? I'm interested what Mac users think on this, thanks guys

Once again, if you know you'll need more space, you should pay about £15 more quid for it.

Anyway, I bought a 500GB hard drive (that is compatible with time machine), for £49 off Amazon, so I'm not seeing the problem...

Eagle said:
I've yet to see a single valid argument for a Mac over a PC for design. Keep trying folks...

Im standing next to Eagle on this one... Never heard any actual reason, at least a pc can handle more than 5 fonts :p

I don't know what you guys think but if you know you'll need more space, you should pay about £15 more quid for it. Anyway, I bought a 500GB hard drive (that is compatible with time machine), for £49 off Amazon, so I'm not seeing the problem...

What do you think? :p

I'm not joining in this debate particularly, as I can see pluses and minus on both sides, but I did a virus scan on my mac, 3 years surfing anywhere and everywhere (and i mean that) and not a virus in site!

that is all I have to add.

Have never had any viruses... but I thought there only was one virus known for Mac so far, and it spreads through iChat and external drives. But the security update should've fixed that. Didn't have that specific virus, haven't had any other problems so far.

Am I badly informed?

BBC iplayer and now Channel 4 On Demand work on the mac, so I wouldn't need a PC any more...

They are bloody usefull in web development though unless you have an intel mac running parrells & XP as unforunately you have to cater for most of the world using bloody internet explorer.

br3n said:
Im standing next to Eagle on this one... Never heard any actual reason, at least a pc can handle more than 5 fonts :p

fonts.png

hmmm.... I've got just a few more than 5 and it's been working fine... :p

I use windows due to my cad software (solidworks and 3ds max) but am likely to get a macbook (of somesort) in the near future so that it opens up a few additional programs (final cut for example) and allows for that cross platform checking of any work which you just don't get on windows due to os-x closed nature.

Plus mac's are all shiney for when you see clients :)

why would anyone need 8,000 fonts active at once?

That would be a pretty shit design if you were to use that many in one document, but then I wouldn't put it past Microsoft...

Back