The Great Debate - PC Vs Mac

charles said:
The macbook pro is the unibody, it is engineered from of a single block of aluminium.

the macbook is the traditional white plastic style notebook.
except that was a little different with the previous generation (before sealed battery). The (now) 13" macbook pro was called the macbook unibody and was missing firewire (and the new sd card).

So now Is anyone able to answer whether it is worth getting a macbook pro or just a macbook, irrelevant of looks of course :)

renniks said:
So now Is anyone able to answer whether it is worth getting a macbook pro or just a macbook, irrelevant of looks of course :)

Depends really, do you NEED a macbook or is it a case of wanting to get a mac. Can you get away with a less stylish but ultimately cheaper windows laptop (even more relevant if you want to install windows).

If you want to get to grips with os-x maybe look at a refurb or second hand even, if its for specific apps then look at whether the macbook would be enough.

I have a windows laptop, and would be after a mac for the reason of using OS X, and its relevant software. I would be interested in refurb / second hand but never been sure on how reliable that method is.

Too many choices haha

except that was a little different with the previous generation (before sealed battery). The (now) 13" macbook pro was called the macbook unibody and was missing firewire (and the new sd card).

Not a mac history lesson... talking current models :)

I would definately go for a macbook pro if your set on mac. Though I'd and wait a bit until I had enough money to get the 15" with a decent processor - 15" is still very portable and is 1440x900 rather than 1280x800 res. the extra 2" of screen are def worthwhile if you are generally mobile and not working on an external display for design work.

That's what I think anyway, I'm sure there will be a wealth of other opinions :)

Tim, our resident Apple expert, should be able to tell you which MB(P) fits your needs. After all, it is his actual job ;)

I'm not sure if I am set on a mac still, but leaning that way. And I'm falling for the idea of the "pro" just because it's called that and my assumption that it is good enough to warrant the extra money.

I was more tempted by the 13" as I will be getting a 19inch monitor for my laptop and would just make sure it was one that allowed for the mac and the pc to plug into it (with a switch or a monitor that has the two inputs and can switch itself) and the 13" would be more portable for uni etc.

If I was spending around £900 I would buy a cheap notebook with a 2ghz dual core processor/2gb ram and build myself a decent PC with remaining money and set up a gigabit home network; saving my work in progress files over network to notebook partition.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167257 add a pcmcia http://www.ebuyer.com/product/83821

still have enough for a quad core amd platform and a screen

but again thats just me, and I like to work on a desktop.

This is what I'm not sure on, whether it is more beneficial to get a mac or a desktop, I currently do everything on a pretty good laptop (2.4 dual core, 3gb ram, etc.) and havent found anything I can't do on here that I have wanted to. If I want to play games theres a lan centre nearby that meets my needs with some people there that make it more fun too. So the need for a desktop isn't that great.

I'm going to be buying an external monitor & hard drive as I have been meaning to for a while and am only recently getting the money to warrant it.

But along with that should have the money for a macbook / pro / iMac / desktop / other joyous piece of technology for £600-1000

And am trying to decide what to get. Hence finding out the most I can about macs because I am clueless to them, but know that using one will increase my knowledge of something and will give me more experience to offer someone (a company for example that wants me to use macs).

In that case, I think that the performance increase from your notebook to the 13" mac would be small if any (providing your system is well maintained and not filled with photos etc)

as before

I would build a quad core amd system with a decent gpu and decent amount of low latency ram and get a 24" monitor, prob a samsung. The speed of that system would be comparable to a mac pro!

you would still have a few hundred quid change.

Aye you could but it would look shite and still be running some form of Windows...

nuff said, stick to the Mac and let the Heath Robinson brigade tinker and tweek their knobs and
constantly repairing, reinstalling, crashing and firewall/securitying (good word that one).

Just buy it (the 13" MacBook) and get the work done...you will not regret it.

Typo said:
Aye you could but it would look shite and still be running some form of Windows...

nuff said, stick to the Mac and let the Heath Robinson brigade tinker and tweek their knobs and
constantly repairing, reinstalling, crashing and firewall/securitying (good word that one).

You're delusional.

Lian Li and Silverstone make cases that are comparable if not better quality than the mac pro case.

As to windows issues - only if you have no idea how to use windows. My windows systems do NOT crash, I reinstall because I want to (not often), I've never needed to repair my os as I never install junkware, (I have needed to replace a failed motherboard though - but you can get that on a mac too), my antivirus is install and leave and my firewall is the built in one on my router so macs would get the same firewall security :)

AHHH to many comments to reply to.

sorry if this doesnt make sense, it's been a very good but long day at work.

thing about buying a cheaper (but same spec) PC compared to a Mac is the fact that Macs are built to last around 4-8 years, whereas PCs are just, well, built. By the time you've got through your Mac you'll still have high resale value and a quality machine, whereas by that time chances are you'd be looking at one, maybe two extra PCs as well as your original one because they'll have packed up (+ shit resale).

im not exactly sure what you're looking to use it for, i cant remember exactly if you said or not, but tbh just jump at an EOL product. all the local stores have them, but if not it's probably because it's been sent down to the Bullring (we've been flogging them loads recently for some reason [apart from obvious price reduction]).

if you're looking for an attractive UI and an attractive product, with good resale and a good deal as a student - £47 apple care (£148 less), a £14 iPod touch (£145 rebate), and a free printer (£60 rebate, [printer is £59.95 itself]), then go for a MacBook!

You won't get the student discount on the end of line products as they're already reduced and reduced and reduced further, but you can still get 6-17% off a MBP as a student.

at the end of the day....... is night...

and ultimately this argument boils down to whether you want a decent spec and stunning looking notebook, or a top of the line pc with not such good looks and boast factor; but a faster processor and interchangeable dedicated hardware for resource hungry tasks such as video editing and advanced graphic editing and a larger screen or 2 larger screens.. 2 x 24" screens would be sick!

if you really like OSX then you obviously have a good reason to go with the apple....

or if you feel like you just want a mac book because u like em then thats cool.

if you want something that works, doesnt look a million dollars but also doesnt cost a million dollars... buy a pc...

it's over to you my friend!

do what u will!

yeah charles is right, but macs dont always cost a million squid.

the main reason the prices are there is because apple have worked out their value and are satisfied knowing they've produced a quality product. if it was worth any less it would be up for less! that's why there is a "refurb" section online.

also, apple will happily tell you that they are NOT a discount brand.

that leads me to another thing. they're a brand. you wouldn't pay £5 for £500 nike shoes, would you?

Back