Inserting Video files

If you have a copy of Flash it has a FLV encoder application which ships with the product, you should be able to use this to convert most common video filestypes eg wmv, mp4 to FLV format. you can then upload the flv to a Video host like YouTube or Vimeo, and they will give you a code snippet to embed the video over http into your own site

jimb0 said:
If you have a copy of Flash it has a FLV encoder application which ships with the product, you should be able to use this to convert most common video filestypes eg wmv, mp4 to FLV format. you can then upload the flv to a Video host like YouTube or Vimeo, and they will give you a code snippet to embed the video over http into your own site

Ive encoded the videos but I dont want to used vimeo or youtube really, I want to just use flash if i can?

I have managed to get the video onto the website and resized and positioned where i want it, but.....
It autoplays and has no "play/stop" bar.... when i turn autoplay off its just blank with no "play/stop" bar....!

Why is my bar not showing up?

swf or flv format. I'm guessing SWF is like an animated gif in that it has no controls usually.

Did you look into the JW player like I mentioned before?

Levi said:
swf or flv format. I'm guessing SWF is like an animated gif in that it has no controls usually.

Did you look into the JW player like I mentioned before?

SWF... so they need to be FLV?

Yeh it comes with a stylesheet etc and you can change stuff around to how you want it. Iy can also be embedded into your page.

Levi, Ive tried that player you recommended and its looks good but I have a few problems with it.

1. its not showing up in IE
2. I cant resize the video... I can resize the player but not the video
3. I get this error when I load the page saying that Adobe has stopped a potentially unsafe operation and I have done what it has told me to do but it is still occuring!

:(

I haven't actually used it on my site (yet) although I have used sites that use it loads of times, hence why I knew of it.

Did you follow all the instructions on the install page?

It might be easier to ask on their forum too as they're more likely to fix the issue quicker :)

When you encode a video with flash you should basically end up with:
video.fla (main flash file containing your video component on the stage which references your flv + your player skin)
video.swf (swf file of the above - you pull this into your html)
ClearOverAllNoVol.swf (or similar - playing controls/skin for the vid - this would be referenced in your fla file).
video.flv (your flash format video)

You would need to upload - video.swf + ClearOverAllNoVol.swf + video.flv all to your server then I would reccomend attaching the video.swf using swf object you can download the generator to which might help (set it to dynamic mode) - all paths from video.swf to the other files must remain as you set on your comp.

I tend to make all paths absolute within the flash file to avoid confusion (the paths within the movie component to your player/flv).

Work this bit out first then once you've got the jist if you wanted to you could make a player for multiple videos by having different movie components on different frames/scenes your flash movie.

@Levi: I have installed it to the best of my ability and all works fine in Firefox but im getting just a blank white box in IE where my video's should be.
I've had a look on the JW Player forums and there is a few people with the same problem. There is a ouple of solutions I beleive, HOWEVER it is way too technical for my mind.
If any tech-genius's would like to simplify the following I would be much apprecited
Not supported in Internet Explorer | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player

@tbwcf: If this JW player fails then I will try your solution, but it seems like I'm doing everything you say in your last post.

Thanks guys

can you let us know about the video encoding and what settings you used, if you're not sure pm me and I'll send you an email address to send the file to and I'll look at it here. One of the issues looks to be down to the choice of encoding etc.

Alex Appleby Videographer.
This is where ive uploaded it for now... this video on the homepage and in the samples gallery.

Please note the layout is not finished and needs changing alot, just concentrating on the videos and why they dont work for now.

Thanks guys, I really apprecaite it! x

can I get a direct link to the file as I can't download it without a direct link :)

I've got 2 ideas as to why ie isn't liking it ....

1) you've not got the full location of the file - andy/harry will be better on confirming this one :)
2) its down to the encoding you've chosen - this is what I need the file for as I want to check it for you :)

Levi said:
can I get a direct link to the file as I can't download it without a direct link :)

I've got 2 ideas as to why ie isn't liking it ....

1) you've not got the full location of the file - andy/harry will be better on confirming this one :)
2) its down to the encoding you've chosen - this is what I need the file for as I want to check it for you :)

PM and thanks :)

Hi Hippy, works fine for me in firefox (mac) but not got access to IE.

I think Levi could be right on the encoding.

If you can't solve it with the jwv player - put one of the flv files somewhere+post me a link and I'll do an example for you just by just using flash over the weekend!

I've looked at the file and it's encoded in basically a variant of the h264 codec (same as used on blu-ray). I'll re encode it for the morning in a format that is more suited to flash 9. I've already managed to shrink the size without affecting quality in any way - 50megs is a little large especially as bandwidth counts :)

If it doesn't work and if the layout stays the same (ie text on one side image on the other) we could always use embedded quicktime/windows media player instead.

Andy, I'm sending you a pm with the address hippy sent me (doubt she'll mind) :)

I've just put a quick example together and was going to write up instructions but I got Levis PM and it looks your using .f4v format which I think will probably be your problem - try converting a file to .flv see if that sorts it.

Levi's right 50mb is way bigger than it should be.

The example I did is here: http://www.theboywhocriedfox.co.uk/flv/flvExample.html

+ download the files - http://www.theboywhocriedfox.co.uk/flv.zip

Let me know If you want to go down this route and I can explain it all properly - if making the videos flv solves it though you might as well stick with the jwv player

well I've reduced the file size down as far as I feel it can go (11.5MB) without degrading the quality too much, could maybe improve a little if I shrink the resolution but thats not necessarily a good idea :)

Settings using flash media encoder cs4 - they're customised from the "FLV - Same as source file (Flash 8 and higher)" so you need to enter the settings window :)

I've re-encoded the file sent so it may need a little tweak if you go directly to it. If things aren't mentioned leave as de selected or default values:)

filters - none
format - flv
video -
- Basic Video Settings = On2 VP6, 640 x480, fps=same as source
- Bitrate Settings = Bitrate encoding - VBR, Encoding Passes - 2, bitrate - 750kbps, minimum bitrate (% target) - 50, max bitrate (% target) - 100, Bitrate Variability (% target) - 50
- Advanced Settings - Undershoot (% target) - 92

Audio -
Stereo MP3 128kpbs

Link to adjusted file -
http://www.imageresolutions.co.uk/GaryKathrynSloMo_2_3.flv - you need to right click, save as, didn't seem to like any other way for some reason

Back