Inserting Video files

You guys are amazing thank you.
I will have a look into al of the above this evening when I get in from work and get back to you.

Thanks agaian :D

If you can convert the clip and host the video on Vimeo or YouTube, it is easy enough to embed the code for the clip in Dreamweaver.

In that case don't use the jwv player - if the example I posted works in IE then just do it that way.

If you need me to explain the examples/walk you through it then PM me - will be tonight or tomorrow as I'm about to go out.

I know this is going to seem a strange question and I did mention it earlier with the issues couldn't you use quicktime for this type of layout?

Assuming the video's are going to be the same basic layout as you linked, you could just encode the video to a quicktime format and then embed quicktime player. It should stream the video automatically as far as I'm aware (been awhile since I last did it). You can use mp4 compression to reduce the file sizes nicely too :)

Just add a link to get quicktime on the page if they haven't got it type affair.

I've PM'd Hippy an example/tut/guide+files. I won't share the link as it uses one of her clients flv's - but if she finds it useful I'm happy to write a Tut / screencast for the DF blog.

Is it really bad if I used Vimeo? It's starting to get on my nerves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I'm sure im getting on yours :mad:

do the quicktime approach then :)

Seriously it's pretty easy, just re-encode a file in quicktime, I can do it if you want and then embed it.

this should work for adding the quicktime video (it will auto run and has the controls unless you add extra code) Tested it quickly via a preview (ie no upload) in firefox and ie8 on windows 7 and it works fine (well except for the black bar where the control go but thats quicktime being crap on x64 windows - it still plays fine :)

Code:
<embed class="qtvid" src="file location" alt="alt text" width="640" height="480"></embed>
where class="qtvid" can be used for location of the video on the page in the css file, the rest is self explanatory really :)

Converting video to quicktime, handbrake (an app), quicktime pro, premiere/imovie etc or cs4 encoder can all do this.
Let me know what you have if you get stuck with this bit.

Levi said:
Code:
<embed class="qtvid" src="file location" alt="alt text" width="640" height="480"></embed>
where class="qtvid" can be used for location of the video on the page in the css file, the rest is self explanatory really :)

Sorry what do you mean by this bit?

I have done it and its worked, but when I resize the play bar doesnt resize with it so only shows when the video is 640 x 480.
Maybe it has something to do with that bit up there I didnt understand.

also need it to not play automatically?
Thanks Levi.

I owe you and tbwcw BIG TIME (nod)

If I'm understanding the issue - First I would suggest encoding the video at the size of the box on the page and then replacing the 640x480 bit with it's correct sizes.

If you mean full screen resize then thats fine quicktime has a hover menu.

to stop autoplay you need to use the below text

Code:
<embed class="qtvid" src="file location" alt="alt text" width="640" height="480" autoplay="FALSE"></embed>
you can add other 'controls' to - heres a link to the other options

edit: if you don't want the files to be saved easily add kioskmode="true" after the autoplay="false" bit :)

Levi said:
If I'm understanding the issue - First I would suggest encoding the video at the size of the box on the page and then replacing the 640x480 bit with it's correct sizes.

If you mean full screen resize then thats fine quicktime has a hover menu.

to stop autoplay you need to use the below text

Code:
<embed class="qtvid" src="file location" alt="alt text" width="640" height="480" autoplay="FALSE"></embed>
you can add other 'controls' to - heres a link to the other options

edit: if you don't want the files to be saved easily add kioskmode="true" after the autoplay="false" bit :)

Ok its all working great now thanks, although the video's seem to be loading really slow.... Alex Appleby Videographer.
Are they for you guys or is it my PC?

Thanks and I really owe you both BIG TIME :D

I used a video converter called PRISM to convert my files to .mov and by settings? What do you mean?
What size is a recommended video size for the web like this?

From the looks of it the quicktime file can't be enlarged so make sure the quicktime file itself is 100% @ 640 x 480 (or whatever your size is)

Perhaps its larger than that at the moment which wouldn't help file size?

Back