Thoughts on my new CV?

Spelling errors are an absolute no-no!

Some hierarchy problems with the Green Headings and the Body Text.

Spacing between headings is not identical.

These are basic things!

What do you mean by this? And yes sorry I have got to make the spacing identical, I was in a rush to get opinions.

It's 'ok'.

I would lose 'Additional Information', specially as it's a typo.

Not sure about "...got my head in a computer..."

If I was to lose additional information I'm not really sure where else i can fit it in. Ok i'll change "got my head in a computer", i thought it would be good to include a bit of 'realness' in the hobbies/interest section.

I don't like the font headings, the chosen font looks a bit out of place. I also don't think it's that much different from your first version. Is it better?.. A bit. It is not bad, but it's not that great either. Spell check, Spell check, Spell check. Typo's are a big off put for employers. Don't bother with the additional information section, unless the job requires it, knowing you have a clean UK driving license is irrelevant.

All in all, once the corrections are made, it is ok for a very basic CV.

PS. Don't be afraid of negative space.

Last edited:
What do you mean by this? And yes sorry I have got to make the spacing identical, I was in a rush to get opinions.

What do I mean by which part?

I will gladly clarify anything you wish.

Take some time to print your CV and view it upside down. You will see glaring hierarchial issues this way.

Take your time with your CV - don't rush it. Even for opinions.

If you're struggling with layout then sketch thumbnails of what you want to achieve. Then build it.

What do I mean by which part?

Sorry what do you mean by "Some hierarchy problems with the Green Headings and the Body Text."

I have taken my time with my CV, nearly two weeks lol along with applying for the odd job.

I didn't feel I was struggling with the layout, personally i like the lay but i am a recent graduate, not an expert, cheers

Seems to me the Green Headings are the same point size and a lighter shade than the black. It's almost like the Body Text is more important than the headings.

The dates for this reason on the right hand side aren't very legible, as they blend in with the page, rather than standing out as a heading - so it's getting lost in the structure of the paragraphs.

Even though you've taken your time, your CV had a spelling error in it. And most people won't appreciate spelling errors, especially when the job is centered around graphic design.

Looking at the Top part of your CV - it's very clustered. It's not easily read and the leading text has no oomph in it to make it more legible

D.O.B: 19/12/1985 | Nationality: British

Compared to

Or

etc

Your experience before 2010 isn't really relevant - as you're applying for a graphic design job. It actually makes you look like you've been unable to settle in a profession. This conversation can wait until interview stage - where the employer may or may not ask about your job history prior to what's on your CV.

There's actually a glaring gap in your Work History between 2010 and 2012 - but this only becomes apparent as to why on the next page where you attending college. Because of this and the irrelevance your previous work experience is to the role you want - I'd definitely leave out prior work before college out of the CV.

Think about structuring your CV so that your Acamedics are first and followed directly by your work experience.

GCSE English, English Lit, Maths, Science, Graphic design and Art
should be a cap. Your upper- and lowercase in your typing is a particular highlight throughout your CV.

Account Management
Website design

eCommerce development
Later on
E-commerce

These are inconsistencies eagle-eyed CV readers for a graphic design role would take notice of.

Ok thank you, I am making all of the headers a bolder text to allow it to stand out and guide potential employers when scanning. I have also gone through and made my upper and lower casing consistent. How come you think I should consider putting my academics before work experience? I think even when deleting the unrelated employment is still doesn't leave enough room for them

How come you think I should consider putting my academics before work experience? I think even when deleting the unrelated employment is still doesn't leave enough room for them

Well, that's the designers challenge :icon_wink:

I think it's more relevant to what your academics were because I feel that you are aiming for an entry level position.

When hiring for an entry level position I want to see what they have studied before I view where they have worked and for how long.

After a few years in the industry you can put your Work Experience first and your academics as a footnote as with 10,15 or 20 years experience, your academics aren't in question, it's your experience.

Your education credentials are pertinent to the role you are applying for - not your work experience.

If however, for certain roles you feel your experience is better suited to what's on offer you can swap them around again.

Education
Most relevant first
(or chronological with most recent first)

Work Experience
Most relevant first

Skills
Most relevant first

Skills
Most relevant first

My brain is not working today - not enough coffee

Skills
Most relevant first - example:

Advanced:
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Dreamweaver

Microsoft Word
Microsoft Powerpoint

HTML5
CSS

Intermediate:
Flash
PHP
SQL
JAVA

Microsoft Excel

Basic:
Microsoft Access
Microsoft Visio

Maya 3D
AutoCad

etc.

This gives structure to your key skill sets.

So what do you suggest to make it better than 'ok'?

I think referring back to one of your original queries about how creative to make your CV. I think you can push the boat out a bit more. I would look back on your research and pick out elements to the designs styles and layouts you like and think work well, emulate them (not copy) and make it your own. I feel you are afraid of negative space. It seems you are trying to use us all the space available on each page. Why? Have a bit of fun with it, there's so much you can do 'design wise.' Add some blocks of colour, reverse out text over them, maybe add little design elements like a small symbol or icon or just something to make it look more exciting. I'm not saying you should do all or any of these things I'm just trying to give you an example. But I think my biggest problem with it is the layout. It is just boring and leaves much to be desired. It is almost something that could of the created in Microsoft Word - I think I have just hit the nail on the head there - it just needs a bit of imagination. I'm not saying to go over the top crazy but you know what I mean. Look back on your research of CVs, do a search for CV's on this forum and start from there.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean as being a recent graduate qualifications are important. Only thing is when I move academic qualifications to the first page, the second page has much less information as the first page and it looks very unbalanced, grrrr :/

You've got major spacing issues in your header! Turned me off reading rest of it straightaway.

However it's critique so put on a warm sweater!

The good
No spelling errors! YAY!

Dates and header info clearer* see below though

The bad
Top lines - The lines opposite the headings don't line up

Overall
Spacing issues you're aware of

Colour for headings is ineffecitve

========

It's kinda getting there ... but I see something that's off putting, but can't put my finger on it....

hmmm let me think

You've got major spacing issues in your header! Turned me off reading rest of it straightaway.

However it's critique so put on a warm sweater!

The good
No spelling errors! YAY!

Dates and header info clearer* see below though

The bad
Top lines - The lines opposite the headings don't line up

Overall
Spacing issues you're aware of

Colour for headings is ineffecitve

========

It's kinda getting there ... but I see something that's off putting, but can't put my finger on it....

hmmm let me think

The lines opposite the headers, do you mean the green lines next to the icons where the contact info is etc?

Which colour heading are you referring to, the main black headers or the small green sub-headers?

Cheers

Figured I wasn't clear - I'm not very text responsive... lol

In your opening header with your personal info - things aren't lined up

The small green headers

You can see

DOB
Nationality
Driving Licence

There's a line beside these - and they all line up.

When it comes to two lines - they no longer line up

Did you know that DOB and Nationality aren't a requirement on Cvs? Nor is a driving license! (unless Driving Licence is asked?)

But your nationality and DOB is nobodies business really.

Thats ok, me too lol when originally saying my spacing isn't perfect i meant the personal info too

So you think a different contrast colour would be more effective, ok i'll have a play with some different colours

You can see

DOB
Nationality
Driving Licence

There's a line beside these - and they all line up.

When it comes to two lines - they no longer line up

Did you know that DOB and Nationality aren't a requirement on Cvs? Nor is a driving license! (unless Driving Licence is asked?)

But your nationality and DOB is nobodies business really.

I feel that being a recent graduate my age could be a bonus, as i'm nearly 28, it could be assumed that i'm more mature and grounded than for example a 20yo graduate.

Also I have had quite a few recruitment agencies ring me up asking if i drive, i will probably have to drive to my job as i live out in the sticks anyway so its good for potential employers to know that i drive.

And i whacked my nationality on there as i have seen it on many CV examples

All great reasons.

A CV only has to have your name and contact details on it though.

Rest is conceived as inappropriate.

Look just saying. You could be turned down because of age or location. Those things shouldn't matter and legally I don't think they can be asked on submitting a CV.

Anyway - I like your CV. It's clean, easy to follow and short.

Back