In a slight quandry

I'm no lawyer but... you've been made redundant as from 17th February. That is the end of your contract. You should get redundancy pay, any holiday pay owing, any pay owing - if not from your ex-Boss then from the liquidator/government. You don't have a notice period unless he is paying you until the end of your notice period. If he is paying you for another 30 days then do the work and take off time to look for other work. If he isn't then you can still do the work but you will be able to charge him as a freelancer. I would take advice on this though. There's something fishy about the whole scenario.

I've had half my redundancy pay (other half at the end of March) and two weeks pay that was owed to me. I would need my P45 (which I haven't received yet) to go freelance from what I understand so I can't charge him. I did email him to say "...but I think its inappropriate to come in on a regular basis to complete a project".

I'm still waiting for a P45 from a company I worked for up until August last year! I then worked for another company (for 3 months) and filled in a P46 (or some such number) to get paid. P45s are not vital at this stage. But you are not actually working for him any more, are you?

If you are going freelance btw you have 3 months in which to register with HMRC (and then they fine you!). A good accountant will give you advice (possibly free initially). You need to talk to your ex-boss and be certain where you stand.

My boss has asked me again to finish off a project I was working on before I was redundant. I now have my P45, I now no longer work for the company and my notice period ended 17 Feb. Can he still ask me to finish off projects?

I did say to him that I should at least be reimbursed for travel expenses (now that I'm not earning). I was asked to go back last Thursday as well.

Politely remind him you now have no job because of him and that if he'd like the work finished, he will be paying you the going freelance rate.

You were paid until 17 February, so the 30 days notice begins after that?
> I now have my P45 and on my Notice of Redundancy, 2nd paragraph
"... we are hereby giving you notice that your employment with the company will terminate on 17 February 2012."

I thought we had agreed that you wanted to complete it? If that is not the case, please let me know.
> Of course, but now it is beyond the notice period of 30 days from first being told of the situation. I was under the impression the project would be finished by the time 17th February came around.

Hi
May not have much time next week. Have networking meetings, job applications and a couple of projects starting.

"Under your contract of employment you are entitled to 30 days notice. As we have
agreed, you will assist in completing the Herax Partners website in English and
German, but you may otherwise take the time of your notice period off to seek
other work"

**Will need this question answered**
Officially my notice period ended 17 February. It has occurred to me that because of that I should start charging on a freelance basis?

Next week will be fairly busy as I have networking meetings and job applications.

Stephen

Just to keep you on track, re timing looks like we can plan this in for next week?
Regards
Paul

A period of notice is just that. For example, if you were leaving a company normally, you would write to the boss and say "I want to leave in 30 days time..." You are therefore giving him notice of your day of leaving. The boss would have to pay you for those 30 days. Or he could ask you to leave that day (as with some sales people) but he would have to pay you for the 30 days notice period.

If Feb 17th was the last day of your employment then you are now freelancing for the company. If it was the first day of your notice period then you get paid for the notice period. Your (ex) boss cannot have it both ways. If he wants you to finish the website project he has to be either employing you on a full-time basis (PAYE etc) or on a freelance basis.

What are you doing at the moment? Going in? or working from home?

You have a certain amount of naivete in this situation (no shame in that) and it's being exploited - be in no doubt that this shady 'boss' character knows exactly what's he's trying to pull here.

Don't do anything until you've agreed terms for carrying out any work: you are no longer an employee and they have no entitlement to your time.

I do know what he is trying to do and my boss is also dancing around the issue and not giving any particularly straight answers.
He asked me to go in and spend a day doing it, I asked him to reimburse me for traveling as well as a daily rate.
The naivety is more on the ex boss who has consistently given me contradiction after contradiction. He said at one point that it was "inappropriate to make me redundant then to employ me as freelance"
I'm more confused because he keeps changing the rules.

Rules are rules... if you are employed - you get paid. If you are not employed by them and do work for them they are contracting to hire you. In many ways it is inappropriate to make you (which really means your job not you - do you get the difference?) redundant and then employ you as a freelance... but hey! if they going to pay you then that's fine. Establish that you will be invoicing them at an agreed hourly rate then you can go and finish the job. He (new boss/old boss) cannot change the rules.

I seem to fall from one thing to another. I had a job interview on Friday, they were "very interested" but have asked me to complete a project as part of the interview process. Is this normal? I am very suspicious of doing creative work on the cheap and makes me a little skeptical if there will be a job.

Yes in my exp it is. It was usually a trial day, 3 hours, logo, input into a project or a layout for magazines etc.
The job I have at the moment, I when for a trial day in the office.
At the end of the day no one wants to be stuck working with someone they hate for a year or more. :)

Does anyone know what could mean?

"We will need to allocate the guys costs against the work to do this- this means the outside costs Plus the timesheet costs from the guys are needed. I think they should now start raising an invoice against jobs and do a summary of their hours and jobs. When I say raise an invoice-they should create an invoice style document- so that it can be scanned and filed.It will not be an invoice for payment."

Back