GGTC Global Media Competition Submission

Context:

The ad is a double entendre. The top headline is obscured to draw you into the tobacco industries dark reality. The shooter first represents the tobacco industry essentially killing its consumer base with every lighting of a cigarette. "Light 'Em Up" is a play on words, a call to action (maybe?), depends on which end of this you happen to find yourself in, hence the hashtag "MakeTobaccoPay"

First off - it's not good, the image of the gun is copyright for starters, you can't just take images from the internet and use them in a campaign that could potentially be global.

The concept is terrible and it would never be allowed to be published due to the graphic nature and intent and difference between gun culture and smoking cultures, the advertising standards globally would have a nightmare with this one.

The text at the top is too light.
It's a libelous statement.

It's just really bad, from image sourcing, to message, to context, to execution.

But you're free to submit it as an entry to the competition - nothing stopping you.

Personally, I'd put far more effort into the contest than the prize money is worth.
This is what makes contests bad.
1000s of entries, of hundreds of hours of work.
Pick the best entry and pay a paltry sum.

In reality - going by current rates - a campaign like this would run a bill upwards of €10k or more.

And they are offering a fraction of that - to get 100s of designers to spend hours upon hours of work for a 'chance to win'.

There's only one winner - the people running the contest.

the image of the gun is copyright for starters, you can't just take images from the internet and use them in a campaign that could potentially be global.
Well, that sucks
The concept is terrible
I agree, after some other critiques, it didn't seem to work how I intended
it would never be allowed to be published due to the graphic nature
Have you seen some of the anti-smoking PSA's online? I mean, those are pretty graphic.
the advertising standards globally would have a nightmare with this one.
Where can I see these standards? Is there some sort of document?
The text at the top is too light.
Yea, some people have told me that already. It was a half assed attempt to draw the viewer in...didn't seem to work.
It's a libelous statement.
I literally took it from the website itself and it appeared on past submissions, so... also, the site said they had some sort of prompt list which I couldn't find so I just winged it. I emailed them, so hopefully I can get the 'list' of info they want participants to work from.
It's just really bad, from image sourcing, to message, to context, to execution.
Can't argue with you there. I'm assuming you're a professional in the industry...but, like I said, I was winging it. I am not pretending this to be a masterpiece. It was truly a half-assed effort just to do something to keep awake.
Personally, I'd put far more effort into the contest than the prize money is worth.
I agree. That's why I started a new one, a new idea...as for image sourcing, unfortunately the images I need will have to be taken from the internet and tweaked...
This is what makes contests bad.
1000s of entries, of hundreds of hours of work.
Pick the best entry and pay a paltry sum.

In reality - going by current rates - a campaign like this would run a bill upwards of €10k or more.

And they are offering a fraction of that - to get 100s of designers to spend hours upon hours of work for a 'chance to win'.

There's only one winner - the people running the contest.
I'm sure you're probably right about this. But personally, I have nothing to lose. For me this is just a practice with a monetary incentive. If I lose, I lose, nothing changes for me. But I can understand from a professional perspective, this is not worth the time or effort. I'm sure you make enough money for this to be a legitimate concern/complaint...

I'm sure you make enough money for this to be a legitimate concern/complaint...
It dilutes the industry in a race to the bottom.

Anyway - you've admitted it's a half-assed attempt so why even bother posting it?

As I said I have concerns from a global advertising point of view.
But I'm sure they could tweak for each territory.

What you do with your free time is up to you.
But these contests drive amateur designers to contests that they have 0 chance of winning.
And the only one that wins is the competition organisers.

Essentially getting a free campaign - even though the rewards stack up to 10k - it's extremely low for such a serious issue.

I'd be expecting at least 10x that.

It dilutes the industry in a race to the bottom.
You have to expect this in the system we live in. Everything is being diluted to the lowest common denominator. Every industry, every profession. It isn't going to get better.
As I said I have concerns from a global advertising point of view.
I'm definitely curious to read about those concerns along with some elaboration from that point of view from an insider perspective.
But these contests drive amateur designers to contests that they have 0 chance of winning.
And the only one that wins is the competition organisers.
I figured as much, but, have you seen the submissions for this particular contest? I doubt they're making the rounds to have any impact in people's minds against big tobacco. I also feel bad for someone going into this with the sole intention of winning $2,000. Personally, I wanted to make some obscene shock image (HAH), but it doesn't seem I succeeded in that...yet.
Essentially getting a free campaign - even though the rewards stack up to 10k - it's extremely low for such a serious issue.

I'd be expecting at least 10x that.
I think I'de be pretty upset as a professional with this reality. I'm hoping to get there. "Such a serious issue" lol I doubt the mass populace actually even cares.

Here's a real life case to give you an idea what I'm talking about

Last night, the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) said that Irish Water could have saved some of the €20,000 spent on its logo and related branding by using a “cost effective micro-job website to pay an online seller to create a logo” instead of employing professional graphic designers to do the job.
Damn, son...that's kind of a disconcerting sentiment.
instead of employing professional graphic designers to do the job.
Everyone, especially large corporations, want the cheapest bang for their buck. This is painful to read. Sheesh. I can't imagine the kind of slap to the face this is for you as a professional, imagine me, some guy strolling in, reading that and just turning right around and being like, "yea, this party is over."
Jan 28th 2014, 4:23 PM
Correction: this party's been over. ::Sigh::
The USI contacted such a website, which created an ‘Irish Water’ logo at a cost $5.
Bruuuuuh. Where'd they go? Some generic designer on <<removed>>? $<<removed>>!?
original.png
Is this the $5 dollar logo?
Our colleagues have spent four to five years of full-time study to reach the professional standard required for best practice in visual communication today. We are educated in the process and value of branding and identity. Considering USI “is the sole national representative organisation for over 250,000 students”, can we ask why do you not represent us—instead choosing to undermine the profession for which we are now studying?
That's heavy.
It not only demonstrates a lack of familiarity on your part as to what is involved in the process of design
This is the common symptom with almost everyone. A lack of familiarity with the process.
Your proposal of last night threatens to belittle our degree and our profession, and has the very real and damaging effect of sabotaging our worth.
I feel like if you raised this argument here in the States, people would just laugh at you (seriously). This is arguing for dignity and recognition of hard work, which are valid arguments but, as they say here (and I'm sure everywhere) "money talks, bullshit walks." It's sad because it really puts serious and dedicated creatives at a severe disadvantage in favor of fleeting tik tok-esque hacks.
what was the motive behind this proposal?
"Save money." I mean, it is also naive to not realize how corporate society works in the 2000's (not that I agree with it but, you know, it's a harsh reality). Even I as a novice (if that), have to compete with millions of Indians on <<removed>> selling their work for $5 to $10. And they all look like the same generic polished style.
From our point of view, it is an unintelligible attempt to exercise expertise in a professional field in which you are not educated. Furthermore, it appears to be nothing more than a weak attempt for you to gain popularity in social media.
It's just about not paying you thousands and paying a cheap designer $5 bucks.
We demand to know why you acted as you did, and to what end? More importantly, we would like to know why the Union of Students in Ireland does not value our degree?
I can imagine the execs at Irish Water laughing at this. Maybe it's my corrupt American perspective but, I am sure here, Poland Spring execs would laugh at graphic designers "demanding" and explanation for why they did whatever to save money.
We are taking further action in forwarding this message publicly, as we believe that this is a dangerous and damaging attitude from the people who are supposed to be representing our education.
Did this actually do anything?
PLEASE NOTE: Following the publishing of this open letter, the USI met with Emma Grattan and Derek Doyle to discuss the issues raised. The union has released the following apology to Irish designers
Oh, an apology, that's nice. The public relations team was probably groaning while having to write this out.

Maybe I'm just cynical. I don't know. I feel bad for the Irish students though, this was pretty grimey of the USI. It's like a cheating partner being caught and just responding with "I'm sorry, I do love you" but never promising to not doing it again (and getting caught). I mean, if I were an Irish student/designer, I'd tell the USI to suck my dick and fuck off. The relationship would have been over there.

This is clearly conjecture on my part, I don't know the IS and USI situation since then (or at all for that matter. This is the first time I read of this), maybe the USI remained loyal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to expect this in the system we live in. Everything is being diluted to the lowest common denominator. Every industry, every profession. It isn't going to get better.
It's up to us to make it better.

Nothing gets fixed by itself.

You're never going to get rid of bottom dwellers.

There's people out there that will use 10$ logo sites and get exactly what they pay for.
An unusable piece of garbage logo.
If that's what a business values the face of their company at then sobeit.

I'm not here to catch the dreggs. Those people looking to bottom feed for a £10 can have it.

I'm more into finding the clients that value their business and also value mine.

At the end of the day if you value your industry at £10 then you probably don't value my industry.

It's up to us to make it better.

Nothing gets fixed by itself.
This is true. How do you make it better though? That's pretty idealistic (not that that's a bad thing).
I'm more into finding the clients that value their business and also value mine.
I think this is the goal for any professional. I'm sure those clients exist. But more often than not, it's bottom dwellers everywhere, from entrepreneurs to established business people. I suppose it's a matter of talking to them and seeing where they stand when the issue of payment comes up. That's where the issues begin, Everyone expecting work for free in a business setting.
At the end of the day if you value your industry at £10 then you probably don't value my industry.
pretty much.

I don't share it here.
That's why my name is HankScorpio here.

It's mostly a forum of professional designers who like to chit-chat and shoot the shit.

Back