Students urged to avoid design...

tim-ater said:
it seems everyone nowadays has a graphic design BA, or is that just me?

That's because Design BA's are really a bit of a cop out these days (or at least that's how it is perceived), so we get masses of people doing them and all graduating because 99% of the Design courses are all course work and no exams. Subsequently saturating the market with too many Designers. Then those Designers who qualify without any experience (no freelancing or anything like that while in University) have to go and work in a different job till a suitable Graduate position opens up...

At least that's what I see a lot of these days.

:lol: @ Berry...

I've not got one either.. I do have an HND in Design instead :p which is worse really :p LOL

as long as you are talented and unique then there is something for everybody out there. Only the less creative people should be alarmed! Students should be on a design course if they have passion and creative minds and not just to do it in other to get a job. Designers can work for themselves.
peace.

The only reason I'm slightly concerned is because about 30 people in my year alone are trying to go to arts college, to then go to take graphic design at uni, and if that's happening in every school, we're all buggered, really. all starting jobs will go instantly... surely.

that is the entire point Timbo... there is going to be a massive (not that there already isn't) surge of grads... of varying quality.. I just hope that some of them get taught how to do print design (laying up with crop marks etc) as no course seems to do that anymore...

It's actually really pissing me off though... because although I'm not be the best designer in the world, I've been wanting to do this for about 2 and a half years, not just thought "oh, what may mean I can just muck around on a computer all day at college...? design? i'll do it". this completely affects whether i take a levels as well, because if the design industry doesn't want to give me a job I'll be left with nothing.

If you want it that badly, you'll get it.

If that means working 2x as much as everyone else, putting more time in or just going way overboard on projects to make sure you get full marks/recognition then you'll do it.

It's always been a hard career to get into because its always a catch 22, people want people with experience, but you can't get the experience because no-one will give you a job!

Like its been said, you'll have to make sure you stand out from the rest, learn new techniques/programs or add an area to your design such as 3D work or Animation/Flash etc. Something which gives you an advantage over other people!

well unfortunately Tim this is the problem that we all face now that anyone with a computer and with a half working brain thinks that they can be a designer...

It doesn't get any better once you've got the experience either! It's still 100's of applications for the same job! Well thats what its like around the South coast anyway (Brighton etc)

its like that everywhere Adam.. this job I have at the moment 480 people applied for :eek:

It is ridiculous, i think thats why so many people try freelance, but then alot of people do that so you end up still competing loads for work. It really is annoying.

The job i'm in now i only used for experience as it's really at the point where i hate it now, but i know i can't leave yet as its so tough to get another job, i have to many bills/outgoings/rent to pay for!

If i could go back to when i was about 16, i think i'd choose another career, although i'm not 100% certain i would or not.

I know that I would definitely choose a different career if I was 16 again... but thats just me :)

Im currently 17, Im doing my A levels because I want to fall back on and have got fairly concreted plans for 1/2 years after a levels to give me a good start in the design industry.

Over the past year and a half Ive been freelancing so that Ive got good experience by the time Ive finished alevels and ahve made substantial contacts through this time to get me going with a job or constant work...

I know Im the last person who should be giving advice on this whole subject considering my position; however personally I do feel after reading many peoples opinions and through my own experience that If you work hard at it and listen to advice a long the way you can get a brilliant start if you are actually focused enough.

The other options are of course to go to uni, get degrees and qualifications which from what I have seen/heard are only really beneficial if you have a decent portfolio to back them up....

There are a lot of students that don't have any experience at all and then suddenly design to take a course. How do they reason themselves into it? If you already have the skills, is a course still needed? I've been told a couple times that you don't learn much in those courses. So in the end, it doesn't matter much whether or not you passed a design course or not. If the quality is there, why would you need a certificate saying "Congratulations, you succeeded a course below your abilities!"

I've been told a couple times that you don't learn much in those courses

Ive been told exactly the same...If you already have the skills, why pay to get a piece of paper to say you can that you dont necessarily need....

philjohns said:
Ive been told exactly the same...If you already have the skills, why pay to get a piece of paper to say you can that you dont necessarily need....

For the one reason that although not all, a LOT of design agencies want to know that you have something to show other than a portfolio.

Back