Students urged to avoid design...

Just to add a small point, on the degree issue, from a freelance perspective a lot of my new clients or contacts do ask about qualifications. A surprising amount will Google you and look at biogs on Linked In etc or request CVs.

It is true that some design agencies wouldn't pay too much attention to you official qualifications; it all being about your folio. When approaching new clients as a freelancer in my experience clients value very highly the reassurance of a Degree and Testimonials from past clients.

Of course none of them have actually asked me to show them my degree certificate so you could save thousands of £ of debt and lie, but I'm not going to open that can of worms!

An interesting read this thread.

Kudosis said:
If i could go back to when i was about 16, i think i'd choose another career, although i'm not 100% certain i would or not.
chrismitchell said:
I know that I would definitely choose a different career if I was 16 again... but thats just me :)
These two quotes definitely surprised me and have taken me back a bit.

What's the reasoning behind your thoughts lads? I'm intrigued..

I would choose a more active career, either one that gets me out and about more (not sitting in an office all day everyday) somedays i hate the fact that i just sit down all day, isn't good for you!

I originally wanted to be a police man, so i would probably follow that path if i started again. I know there's nothing to stop me doing it now, but i'm at the point now where i can either go freelance or a bigger studio. There's not bigger ones around and i don't/won't commute to london each day so i'll give freelancing a go and see if that sparks my enthusiasm.

Main reason is because i think the career in design is so popular now (because anyone thinks they can do it) so there's alot of crap/dodgy agencies and so called "designers" its just too competitive.

I'm looking to change my career in the next year and a half ish :) depending on if I can do what i'm thinking of doing :D

So i think the moral of this thread is that you should get out of design whilst you still can! :D

Back