SHOWCASE: Sketches, Doodles & Illustrations

Levi

Staff member
There isn't a good algorithm of getting the shadows in isometrics. At least, not that I've found.
Generally speaking your shadows (assuming you don't change position of light source) a vertical shadow would be at 90 degrees to a vertical wall (ie at horizontal), the depth of the shadow would be creative license as the sun isn't there. For the runner you basically you forgot the extra 30 degrees (isometric is 30 degrees for those that don't know) you add in when doing the isometric angles, if you get me, on the person.

In all honesty it's a little hard to explain, I work in 3D (perspective, isometric and axonometric which is even worse than isometric lol) so much that I just 'know' where the shadows should fall from looking at it these days lol

scotty

Staff member
Generally speaking your shadows (assuming you don't change position of light source) a vertical shadow would be at 90 degrees to a vertical wall (ie at horizontal), the depth of the shadow would be creative license as the sun isn't there. For the runner you basically you forgot the extra 30 degrees (isometric is 30 degrees for those that don't know) you add in when doing the isometric angles, if you get me, on the person.

In all honesty it's a little hard to explain, I work in 3D (perspective, isometric and axonometric which is even worse than isometric lol) so much that I just 'know' where the shadows should fall from looking at it these days lol
There is a way of making them using the SSR method but it isn't at all perfect and where 2D iso is a bit of a bitch, especially with non geometric shapes.
If I remember, you put a unified copy object on it's side and then do the SSR thing.
I've tried assorts of things to find a formula to make them but I've yet to find the holy grail. :(

I'm glad you guys picked up on that as I wasn't happy with it bit didn't have enough distance to see it objectively so I moved things around a bit.

Thing is, we don't get too many shadows in Sheffield.
When we do we call them Sun Ghosts. ;)