Picking a name for your "brand"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a good way of looking at it "Berry".

This is gunna take some real thinking.

Anyone else got ideas? input?

Thanks all,

Phil

I too have found this difficult, and I am particularly finicky about this type of stuff - the other day I opted not to open a Flickr account as I couldn't have the username I wanted! :eek:

i held my breath for your latest comment :D i agree.

the screenshot you showed us before looks amazing, just see what pops into your mind (or whatever you associate with it), and see where that takes you...

is that a good idea? bad idea?

@Onartis: Well I cant argue!

@tim-ater: Yeh, i dont either now. Think it was just a quick unthought rush! Thanks for the feedback on my design that i screenshotted. I really like it and can see it really working too in different forms on different media - Really like the ideas going through my head as a brand. I spose I'll just keep brainstorming and post up here for name ideas. Still dont know whether to use my name or not - I am tempted.

@alynthomashodgson: Surely I get a B - what with the self assesment and all?!?! haha - I shamefully had to look up the word "finicky" in my dictionary and thats what sparked the idea. However its a horrible sounding/looking word if were being honest!

Going through some words that come to mind when looking at my screen shot of my background i designed im thinking: (not related to my name but still like the idea of using my name)

Atmosphere
Aura
Vibe
Swift

Just a few words Im playing on at the moment. I would quite like to use my name but dont know what route to take on it?

Phil

i'd use your name, TBH, it's your site and portfolio more than your name.

if i saw a sh*t site with a great name, and a great site with a sh*t name, I'd go with the professional looking people.

If you're thinking about Aura, what about Aurora (name of original mac background thingy)... although it is a little bit too anime.

I liked swift too - vibe also stood out. However Im not sure where I would go next - Swift Design? Vibe Design? Just Swift or Just Vibe.

If I was to use my name, how would you suggest I do it?

Phil Johns Design
Phil Johns Imaging
Phil Johns (bare in mind neither .com or .co.uk are available for this.)

i have no idea. i don't know about the rest but phil johns imaging doesnt appeal to me. it sounds more about photography than graphic design and websites...

i know you do all three btw, it just sounds more bias to one.

Yeh, I did want something that including photography however have got to the stage now where all it needs to say is "graphic and website design".

why not work backwards lads.... If I'm coming up with a brand name I make sure i work hand in hand with a domain search to see if i can register it or if its available. No good having a name if you can't have the website.
One controls the other.

Good shout berry. I already know I cannot use philjohns.co.uk/.com

I dont know what route to take though, I know Im going to be doing "creative" things and "designing" so maybe philjohnsdesign or philjohnscreative is a good shout.

Niether of them seem to have that ring to them though...or the "rememberable factor"

Any other ideas? Inputs and thoughts?

philjohnsart
philjohnsinnovate
philjohnssolutions
philjohnsgfx
philjohnsgraphics
philjohnsonline

or my personal favourite... philjohnspockets! See what I did there?! ;-)

Why not just something like pjcreative.co.uk, does it really need your name in it? On your about page you can clearly put your name in there and people should see the connection and I think pjcreative shouts creative!

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back