Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal business cards

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by Paul Murray, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so I'm looking to take advantage of Boss's amazing business card deal this weekend and came up with this quick concept for a two-sided design. What are people's thoughts? I wasn't sure about the Magenta on the reverse but I think it helps take the edge off all the white type on that side.

Business-Card-mock-ups.jpg

*Edit* Just noticed a few kerning errors in the type, though I'm blaming that on Photoshop distorting the image :D

2. Paul Murray

Removed a few elements based on feedback from a friend.

Business-Card-mock-ups2.jpg

3. Dope Antelope

Dope Antelope New Member

I actually really love this. I think the magenta works nicely, love the simplicity :D
    2nd version definately looks better

4. Paul Murray

Thanks, I've made a few changes since (sorted the kerning in 'paul' and aligned the comma to the i below it). I'm gonna take a fresh look tomorrow when I'm not so tired :)

5. NUGFX

NUGFX Member

look nice, simple is the way :D

are you going to add a gloss/uv to the magenta?

6. Paul Murray

Probably not since I don't think spot UV is included in Boss's deal :icon_biggrin:

Hopefully the magenta (well, it's actually 100% M, 20% Y I think) will work against the black without gloss. I'm not really a fan of UV if I'm honest, unless it's done well :)

7. Do the cards not need your web address/portfolio on there?

8. Paul Murray

I'm debating it.

I'd like to think people would think to check the domain name in my email address, but you know how confused some people can get. Also I don't think the domain name will fit in with the contact details (ties in with "get in touch"). I don't really want to include the address on the other side either, if I can help it as I really like the simplicity of just the statement.

9. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Like em. Much prefer the 2nd version. Though I'd make the info text slightly smaller and add your web address - it's amazing how many people will miss that.

Really like the typeface by the by, what is it?

10. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Not at £25 :icon_biggrin:

@ Paul, look good mate.

11. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

£30.00??

12. Stationery Direct

Sorry £25 +vat (£30)

13. Paul Murray

Still a friggin' bargain at that price! :)

The typeface is Familiar Pro by the way.

14. Paul Murray

Ok, I've narrowed it down to two options. I think I know which I prefer but I'd like everyone else's opinions before I part with my hard-earned...

Option 1
    CardMock1.jpg

Option 2
    CardMock2.jpg

15. Stationery Direct

For me with the www. ...just looks strange without it although everyone does know to add it when typing it in their browser.

16. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

I prefer the top one... but it wasn't until I read Boss Hog's comment that I could even see the difference!

17. NUGFX

NUGFX Member

same :p i thought the text was a bit smaller

i like the 1 without www.

18. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Without the www: as a general rule (neither hard nor fast) I'd probably include it but here I think you get a bit of an undesirable visual effect having 'paulmurraydesign.com' repeated on consecutive lines when it's only very slightly misaligned.

Nice card, by the way.

19. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Option 1 - without. With looks dated.