Personal business cards

Thanks guys. I was thinking without, too.

If the address and my email address lined up neatly I'd leave it but I think it's easier on the eye without :)

Time to order!

Paul,

Whats happening with the old head logo i've seen on a previous thread, have you swapped that idea for a more simplistic typographic solution?

Yeah, I've been seeing that concept literally everywhere. For the time being I'm gonna stick with a purely typographic solution :)

Paul,

Please excuse me if this a terribly noob question (there's no such thing as a stupid question..?), but why have you used punctuation - would it not be cleaner without the comma and full stop on the front of the card?

I'm not trying to crit; just trying to learn (you being a GD ninja 'n' all).

Cheers,

Dan

Paul,

Please excuse me if this a terribly noob question (there's no such thing as a stupid question..?), but why have you used punctuation - would it not be cleaner without the comma and full stop on the front of the card?

I'm not trying to crit; just trying to learn (you being a GD ninja 'n' all).

Cheers,

Dan

Paul might have a different take on this (being a GD ninja 'n' all [!]), but you do see this quite a bit now and I read it as breaking one set of rules by obeying another (and inevitably creating new ones [as a kind of typographic anti-fashion] in the process)... it's basically punctuation as design element and I quite like the mild jarring effect produced - it puts me in mind of The Fall/Mark E. Smith who deployed it in album artwork and the like as far back as the 1980s.

I did it to slow down the speed at which the text is read. Adding the comma causes you to stake a break. I included the full stops because it seemed stupid not too after using the comma.

As Dave pointed out, the whole cards obey some typographic conventions (use of punctuation) yet completely ignore others (use of all lower case for example). I think I may have explained the reasoning behind the design before, but basically I wanted something that was bold and confident. The design doesn't stick to the rules of graphic design yet (I feel) they still look good, and that flaunting of the rules is something I was hoping would imply confidence and understanding.

I may have completely missed the mark but it's too late now because 500 arrived a couple of hours ago ;)

Just bagged myself a new client thanks to these cards :)

I'm hoping to get some pictures and a quick review/blog post sorted soon. Swamped with work at the moment though.

Back