PC vs Mac

Levi said:
Now they get 30% of ALL apps installed on their os from their store, they can police the apps which get installed, so no virus/trojans etc, no pirated software (although I'm sure the hackers would find a way round it), no competing apps (seen it with apple in the past on iOS apps). Apple/Microsoft realise they get very big profit from doing nothing but 'advertising and hosting' the software, just think how much 30% of adobe suite etc is, or how quickly 30p from every £1 adds up,

Not straight away but gradually the os gets locked down so you can only install from the stores like on their phones...

Program developers either sign up (they may like the reduced piracy argument too) or stop developing apps for the platform, not likely due to 2 largest platforms. So what do they do, I can't see the big comapnies like Adobe taking a decrease in profit so prices go up to compensate.

In the end what basically happens is we lose price competition on software, prices increase due to the store cut and the consumer has no option but to buy from the store.

Now I'm not saying this will happen straight away and I honestly hope that it doesn't but if you think about it from a purely business perspective of the people who provide the OS it's not exactly outside the realms of possibility. I'm pretty sure Apple makes a profit from the itunes app store even if they try to say it's just the cost of hosting etc being covered.

in 10 years i can 95% guarantee there'll be more options than just the app store in each OS.

the app store is restricted. apple deny applications that use [what apple consider to be] private APIs, and any applications they don't deem to be acceptable.

even things like app icons stop companies from entering the app store.

on a mobile device, this is perfect, as mobile devices are not supposed to be full OSes, nor sport anything like the same amount of capabilities. and in 10 years i don't doubt it will be any different.

it also makes sure that a device that is supposed to be 100% simple but full-featured is not fragmented and messy.

whilst we'll see the amount of developers in app stores going up and up every year, it makes absolutely no sense for them to lock OSes down like you're saying.

if people want CD drives, they can buy them from a varied amount of retailers, but there is an option in apple stores at £65 to plug in via USB.

a CD drive is not banned, it has not been taken away from users, it is still an option.

when i worked at apple, no user complained about it.

users realise how little they used CD drives, and in the case that they preferred a thicker machine with a CD drive, they bought a different machine at a (sometimes lower) price.

i have a macbook pro. had it for months and months. before that i had a macbook air, a 27" iMac, a 13" macbook, and before that another 15" macbook pro.

i can't remember ONCE using the cd drive apart from for adobe CS3.

with regards to iTunes costs. apple over the last few years have announced publicly that they make money from iTunes. but i'm fine with that, i don't see why anyone shouldn't be fine with that... they're providing a perfect service for consumers and creators.

Mac is my favourite.

The whole mac interface is sleek, clean and modern. OS X Lion is also the most advanced operating system, no need to worry about purchasing antivirus on it, making it more stress free. Overall Windows feels cheap compared to the Mac. This is just my opinion.

iSimonz said:
Mac is my favourite.

The whole mac interface is sleek, clean and modern. OS X Lion is also the most advanced operating system, no need to worry about purchasing antivirus on it, making it more stress free. Overall Windows feels cheap compared to the Mac. This is just my opinion.

how am I not surprised iSimonz.....

for anyone who doesn't pick up on this look at his name :up:

At least Tim is just passionate and not that that bad lol

levi, kind sir...

don't judge the guy!

i nearly got an apple tattoo when i was drunk... hahahah

Levi said:
how am I not surprised iSimonz.....

for anyone who doesn't pick up on this look at his name :up:

At least Tim is just passionate and not that that bad lol

Haha i just realised that myself, been using this username for so long.

Mac all the way, I have used mac's since OS 7! I have to admit though to having a PC sat on my desk also, some of the accounts and CRM software I'm forced to use have to run on windows :(
… makes me feel dirty

Oh not another Pc Vs Mac thread.

I can give my opinion in one sentence really.

I had PC for 15 years, I moved to mac very recently and can truly say with in 6 months I already prefer Mac, it's so much better in so many different ways. My opinion.

glenwheeler said:
Oh not another Pc Vs Mac thread.

I can give my opinion in one sentence really.

I had PC for 15 years, I moved to mac very recently and can truly say with in 6 months I already prefer Mac, it's so much better in so many different ways. My opinion.
do check the dates... it's the same one lol

They're both pieces of hardware which run software. The operating systems are of course different but really, both systems provide similar experiences albeit at a 'slightly' increased price for a certain one...

Back