PC vs Mac

tim said:
call applecare and they courier someone out to you next day. or deliver it to an apple store and meet you there.

and for free.

When was the last time Mr Gates sent a courier round to un-bluescreen your pc? (I know I know it never blue screens bla bla bla :))

also bill gates isn't CEO. but yes i totally agree with br3n.

You like windows and have legitimate reasons to do so.
I like osx and have legitimate reasons to do so.

this is essentially what will close this thread. no one can decide for any other person which OS is better.

tim said:
call applecare and they courier someone out to you next day. or deliver it to an apple store and meet you there.

and for free.
I hope you mean within the first 90days.....unless of course you pay more which then basically makes it no different to say dells repair at home warranty option, that's next day repair.... note I'm not saying dell is ideal either. :p

As Apple don't produce any machines with quadro cards any more they can't even give me a computer which is ideally suited to my needs.... they used to offer the cards as an upgrade at least.....

Besides I've said it before I can get just about get 2 desktop machines for the price of a base mac pro.....with pretty much identical or better hardware... (xeons are just cherry picked core i processors). I'd need to spend £779 to get a quadro on top of the mac pro while being left with a pointless graphics card from the original purchase.

And iirc I never actually said that windows was better than os-x or vice versa, I just said it was better for MY needs as it natively supports my software for work :)

levi no one doubts your 3D computer decisions. in fact i know about them quite in detail thanks to the 400 posts you've made about the fact you need a PC and NOT a mac for your work.

in which case, good job, i'm glad you didn't get a mac!

Besides I've said it before I can get just about get 2 desktop machines for the price of a base mac pro.....with pretty much identical or better hardware... (xeons are just cherry picked core i processors). I'd need to spend £779 to get a quadro on top of the mac pro while being left with a pointless graphics card from the original purchase.

OS and specs makes a fast machine, and apps have to incorporate system usage correctly also. having a mac pro or PC equivalent with 32 bit OS and apps that were written for older specification machines means crap all, as i'm sure you'll know.

but no one doubts the price of the mac pro is expensive. it's overdue an update as per rumour websites. i'm sure apple have something coming around soon enough to replace/update it.

with regards to applecare within 90 days, most people buy applecare, and if they don't and live far away from apple stores, that's up to them to pay that cost.

applecare is worldwide too, so if you're far from an apple store when using it you should buy applecare with the machine.

but failing that you can normally call apple stores and get them to send DHL/FedEx over to you. i've seen it happen enough times to say that stores will definitely do it.

I use an iMac. I like the UI and the whole feel of a Mac, but I'm not against using a PC.

They both have their advantages and weaknesses, obviously. Sometimes a feature that a find to be a massive asset, can suddenly feel like a downfall. Like Apples close ecosystem for example.

But ultimately I don't think you can beat flicking through spaces and banging out some graphics on a big, beautiful, user friendly iMac ;)

tim said:
Apple's closed ecosystem? your iMac runs on OSX not iOS?

apple store and even the new microsoft one.... can't say I'm too keen on the idea of everything being in one store but hey it's probably ideal for the people I was referring too earlier in this thread...

sorry i don't understand levi, i feel we're on two different thought paths? :)

my bad!

It’s funny you know, you don’t get this sort of split opinion with other things, like bread, I’ve yet to see a Kingsmill Fanboy. I think when someone invests a lot of money in something they become personally invested and perhaps loose objectivity. Despite this I think both camps would agree that a bit of healthy competition is good for both operating systems.

tim said:
sorry i don't understand levi, i feel we're on two different thought paths? :)

my bad!

both apple and microsoft are going down the online software store route as well as the shop route.

Probably could have made that clearer :)

oh right.

but i don't believe for a second apple will close off any other options of making applications for OSX. it wouldn't make sense.

it benefits people to sell through the app store but apple doesn't accept every single application out there, and they're happy with that so they couldn't ever just tell customers that there's only one place to buy.

tim said:
oh right.

but i don't believe for a second apple will close off any other options of making applications for OSX. it wouldn't make sense.

it benefits people to sell through the app store but apple doesn't accept every single application out there, and they're happy with that so they couldn't ever just tell customers that there's only one place to buy.

Apple and Microsoft (Google too I think) takes 30% of anything they sell through their online stores (itunes etc) including software, you pay to get onto most 'developer' programs too..... it doesn't make sense to us but it would make sense to them as it's ultimately all about profit and a closed ecosystem revolving around os centric stores (think why many people stick with a mobile with one os on or a single brand of game console etc) might not be as far fetched as you might think unfortunately. Not saying these stores aren't good for the smaller companies, just look at pixelmator on mac when was made available via apple software store, it's sales rocketed (it's a good program to begin with).

They'd likely use the pirated software etc as an excuse to bring it in even though it would likely be bypassed pretty quickly like iOS/android apps were.

Just to throw something in the mix:

Steve Jobs: Billion Dollar Hippy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WphgnZI5YQw]Steve Jobs - Billion Dollar Hippy (BBC Documentary) - YouTube[/ame]

Shows the idea behind the company, getting people hooked with the specific apple products.

Personally I prefer Mac over PC

Don't get me wrong Windows run well other than what as already been said but after getting my Mac lately (never used one before) I found it so much easier to use. Everything is easy to find, everything is well set out and the desktop gives you so much more pace than a Windows PC would do.
To add to all that too I found that designing on a MAc was better. Not in the sense of what you can do but in the sense that you have more space to work within. I can make everything fit into exactly where I want it so I can work from multiple programmes at the same time etc.

Also I found the MAC really easy to use. Changing all the settings was easy and straight forward. On a Windows PC someone who has never used a computer before (yes, it's unlikely nowadays) may not know how to change their backgrounds, etc. On a MAC it's there in front of you and you know within 'system Settings' you may find 'background'. If I remember correctly Windows use 'Control Panel'.

So if I had the choice again between a MAC and a PC it would definitely be a MAC. Maybe when Windows 8 comes out it may rival OSX but for now, in my opinion, it has nothing on it.

I'd also like to add if I said anything completely wrong about Windows i apologize as I don't use them much anymore other than in lectures where we have limited access rights to machines settings.

I've used both Mac and PC for both work and pleasure and I can safely say that I find PC's so much easier to use. All the programmes I use for designing have been loaded onto both but I always just use my PC. However, my younger brother (who works with me) absolutely swears by the Mac....each to their own I guess.

Levi said:
Apple and Microsoft (Google too I think) takes 30% of anything they sell through their online stores (itunes etc) including software, you pay to get onto most 'developer' programs too..... it doesn't make sense to us but it would make sense to them as it's ultimately all about profit and a closed ecosystem revolving around os centric stores (think why many people stick with a mobile with one os on or a single brand of game console etc) might not be as far fetched as you might think unfortunately. Not saying these stores aren't good for the smaller companies, just look at pixelmator on mac when was made available via apple software store, it's sales rocketed (it's a good program to begin with).

They'd likely use the pirated software etc as an excuse to bring it in even though it would likely be bypassed pretty quickly like iOS/android apps were.

i don't think you understood what i meant, which is essentially that there's absolutely no reason why there'd only ever be one channel for consumers to buy applications on desktop OSes.

the app store is great for large and small companies and perfect for consumers.

tim said:
i don't think you understood what i meant, which is essentially that there's absolutely no reason why there'd only ever be one channel for consumers to buy applications on desktop OSes.

the app store is great for large and small companies and perfect for consumers.
No I understood what you meant.

Apple set a precident with the iphone about installing apps only from their store (unless you jailbreak and use cydia), Microsoft has followed suit with WP7 (99% certain on this) and to a point so has Google (they still allow side loading but some custom roms like the kindle fire don't). They all take a cut of the revenue from app sales.

Apple introduce a desktop version of the app store and microsoft does too (pretty sure this was in the pipeline before apple introduced it). Both take a cut of the sales from the apps on their os (30% iirc). At the moment you can still load apps from other locations (ie dvd etc) but just think about this from a os developer standpoint, hell in the case of the Apple mac mini there is no optical drive so you're only left with download options......

Now they get 30% of ALL apps installed on their os from their store, they can police the apps which get installed, so no virus/trojans etc, no pirated software (although I'm sure the hackers would find a way round it), no competing apps (seen it with apple in the past on iOS apps). Apple/Microsoft realise they get very big profit from doing nothing but 'advertising and hosting' the software, just think how much 30% of adobe suite etc is, or how quickly 30p from every £1 adds up,

Not straight away but gradually the os gets locked down so you can only install from the stores like on their phones...

Program developers either sign up (they may like the reduced piracy argument too) or stop developing apps for the platform, not likely due to 2 largest platforms. So what do they do, I can't see the big comapnies like Adobe taking a decrease in profit so prices go up to compensate.

In the end what basically happens is we lose price competition on software, prices increase due to the store cut and the consumer has no option but to buy from the store.

Now I'm not saying this will happen straight away and I honestly hope that it doesn't but if you think about it from a purely business perspective of the people who provide the OS it's not exactly outside the realms of possibility. I'm pretty sure Apple makes a profit from the itunes app store even if they try to say it's just the cost of hosting etc being covered.

Tofayel said:
Even Bill Gets agree that for graphics and design Mac is the best.
oh the videos' from several decades ago... yeah I'm sure Bill thinks the same all these years later :rolleyes:

the only thing that matters for grapic design is the human sitting behind it. photoshop on mac is the same as photoshop on pc. - stupid comment really.

Back