PC vs Mac

i'm a PC.

i mean, everyone who owns a mac is just buying it for the apple logo.

they're actually not usable at all, and have you seen the price? ridiculous. clearly style over substance.

br3n said:
I know it can be done, I had vista briefly and disabled it all, but there are 2 points here.

1. You shouldn't need to be that concerned about every little thing happening - Shows how insecure windows is.

2. You should have the option, from the start to shut it all off - MS shouldn't presume that its users are clueless.

UAC was added due to the fact people think they're really good with pc's from following a few online tutorials... then they end up screwing it all up when they try to do something else without instructions etc.

And trust me when I say some of the people I've seen using windows would be better off going back to pen and paper.... and no getting a mac wouldn't help :rolleyes:

Tim: glad to see you've finally seen the light :p

Some good objective points here!

I use both PC’s and Mac’s or rather OSX and Windows 7 on a regular basis and the fact of the matter is they’re both fantastic operating systems! Were we having this debate during the Vista era, I couldn’t have made that statement. If I had to choose one or the other I would have no choice but to side with Windows as Apple does not have the software or displays to cater for the stereoscopic 3D work I do regularly, and I suspect it’s lacking in a number of other niche areas.

I suppose the best summation of the argument I’ve heard is this:

“If I was Bruce Wayne, I would have Apple Macintosh computers on show in Wayne Towers and Windows PC’s down in the bat cave”

If there is anything you cant do on apple osx you have the option to just run bootcamp and use windows anyway.

Yeah that's a handy feature but I suppose if I was going to be using Windows anyway I would prefer not to pay twice the price for the components.

br3n I can understand your points about the Windows interface being interfering but that's not really in line with you initial comments that you prefer 'Apple' (you didn't even reference the mac, just the company as a whole. Brand allegiance much? :p) because it looks better (I would expect something that costs so much more than a Windows PC equivalent to look better but it's not really something you should judge technology on, it's not like it's a product that's always on display to everyone that comes into your home/workplace.) and doesn't crash.

Well, my Windows computer hasn't crashed once in 2 years so I'm not sure what you were doing with your previous Windows computer!

As for the "interfering system" of Windows, well you have understand that it's a product designed for the masses and unfortunately that means it has to be made bomb proof, idiot proof, pseudo-pro proof and anything else you can think of! I don't really think that spending a couple of minutes disabling the things which annoy you is enough to warrant comments such as "I can't say I'd even consider the idea of using windows again."

Oh and Wac, I don't mean to be rude but I've got to ask... Why is there a giant blue condom behind your head? :D

Hahaha, in relative proportion to the size of your head, yes!

EDIT: I realise now that after your comment, it would be difficult to judge the size of your head considering the bragging that's going on here :p

Also - the support & service behind apple is second to none, my (they call it a superdrive but its a dvd drive) died which fair enough shouldnt have happened, but it was in store being fixed the next day and was ready a day later... I know if I'd have bought a dell or spec'd my own system (which I was in the process of doing before I went mac instead) it would have taken a lot longer to sort it out, sending items back for testing then waiting for retailer or manufacturer to decide what to do.

So yes, when I say apple I dont just mean one product - their entire brand is good. Microsoft have some great products but in my mind, their brand is no-where near as good.

br3n said:
Also - the support & service behind apple is second to none, my (they call it a superdrive but its a dvd drive) died which fair enough shouldnt have happened, but it was in store being fixed the next day and was ready a day later... I know if I'd have bought a dell or spec'd my own system (which I was in the process of doing before I went mac instead) it would have taken a lot longer to sort it out, sending items back for testing then waiting for retailer or manufacturer to decide what to do.

which is fine if you have a mac store near by.....my nearest apple store is about 1 to 1 and a half hours away so I would need to spend 3 hours to taking a mac to the store for what is essentially a 10minute job (well it is on most windows pc's) and then likely need to repeat that journey a day later to collect it.....

With a windows pc (you didn't say if it was a warranty repair), it can be done in ANY local pc repair shop.... obviously it's a little different with warranty as each company is different.

Levi said:
which is fine if you have a mac store near by.....my nearest apple store is about 1 to 1 and a half hours away so I would need to spend 3 hours to taking a mac to the store for what is essentially a 10minute job (well it is on most windows pc's) and then likely need to repeat that journey a day later to collect it.....

With a windows pc (you didn't say if it was a warranty repair), it can be done in ANY local pc repair shop.... obviously it's a little different with warranty as each company is different.

call applecare and they courier someone out to you next day. or deliver it to an apple store and meet you there.

and for free.

Yeh it was a warranty repair.

I've reached a conclusion

You like windows and have legitimate reasons to do so.
I like osx and have legitimate reasons to do so.

:p

service is definitely something that you can't match. tech support absolutely, but training, and even before and during the sale as well, apple's ethics and reliability is like no other company.

and i don't see how half of these posts talk about macs costing half the prices. what PCs are you buying!? i bought my macbook air for £849 (actually way way less but let's not get into that). if you can find a PC this thin with this much power and this size screen and battery life for £420, i might just consider a PC!

(although not really because OSX is my personal preference but just generally a brilliant OS)

Back