Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help graphic designing software

Discussion in 'Adobe Forum:' started by davidcairns49, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Hello All,

Guys I am a newbie and I do not hold much knowledge about graphic designing software. Actually I am looking to buy graphic software for my son who is interested in this topic and is looking to build his future in the same field.

I searched onthe internet and came across these two but I am unable to decide which one would suite him best.

Adobe illustrator CS4 http://www.ecostsoftware.com/adobe/adobe-illustrator-cs4-win_p4124

and

Corel Draw Graphics Suite X4 http://www.ecostsoftware.com/corel/corel-draw-graphics-suite-x4_p3529

I don’t want to ask him as I want it to be a surprise. So guys please help me pick the right software for him.

2. Graphic Detail

Graphic Detail New Member

CS4 is the industry standard, its quite a comprehensive piece of software, but still relatively user-friendly and easy to get going on. So I would definitely recommend this especially if he's interested in a career in design.

Hope this helps.

Paul

3. andyd8

andyd8 Member

Definitely CS4 as its the most recognised out of the two. And thats an awesome little present!

4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

I agree with the above, if he is looking to have a career in design then buy the industry recognised "Adobe Illustrator", Corel Draw is a good piece of kit mind and Mark (Eagle) swears by it.

5. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Definitely the Adobe way.

Illustrator is a fab bit of kit, and as it's a present then I'm sure he'll love it. Photoshop is also a good bit of kit though, both just as useful for different things.

6. Elekate

Elekate Member

Yes I would recommend Photoshop from a Younger persons point of view :icon_biggrin:

Also I think it is a bit simpler to use and is very common with use in the Graphic Industry and Courses!:icon_biggrin:

Note: I know the course I am doing at the moment involves me using it and it's helpful to be able to have access to it at home aswell as college :icon_smile:

7. MarkS

MarkS Member

Agree with everyone else, Adobe CS4 is the way to go, no doubt.

Dont forget though, if your son is doing a course, or is still at school or college then you may be able to get it at a student rate (a huge saving), just something to look into.

Check this page on their site; http://www.ecostsoftware.com/adobe/creative-suite-design_f884
    it lists the full CS4 package that will have everything he'll need - InDesign & Photoshop being the main ones, along with Dreamweaver (web design) and Illustrator for working on vector graphics etc.

The Adobe CS4 Design Premium should have everything to get him started - Adobe's Site

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Yup, a good way to go, although he can't do commercial work. Still advised though, fully featured just limits him selling any stuff he may make, but he can upgrade at a later date.

9. Thanks a lot for your suggestions......I really appreciate it. I got the cs4 student edition which made a perfect gift....he was very happy with it. Couldn't have done it without your help. :)

10. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

No problem, glad he was pleased, tell him to come along and say hi :icon_smile:

11. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Glad we could have helped :).