need help graphic designing software

D

davidcairns49

Hello All,

Guys I am a newbie and I do not hold much knowledge about graphic designing software. Actually I am looking to buy graphic software for my son who is interested in this topic and is looking to build his future in the same field.

I searched onthe internet and came across these two but I am unable to decide which one would suite him best.

Adobe illustrator CS4 http://www.ecostsoftware.com/adobe/adobe-illustrator-cs4-win_p4124

and

Corel Draw Graphics Suite X4 http://www.ecostsoftware.com/corel/corel-draw-graphics-suite-x4_p3529

I don’t want to ask him as I want it to be a surprise. So guys please help me pick the right software for him.

CS4 is the industry standard, its quite a comprehensive piece of software, but still relatively user-friendly and easy to get going on. So I would definitely recommend this especially if he's interested in a career in design.

Hope this helps.

Paul

I agree with the above, if he is looking to have a career in design then buy the industry recognised "Adobe Illustrator", Corel Draw is a good piece of kit mind and Mark (Eagle) swears by it.

Definitely the Adobe way.

Illustrator is a fab bit of kit, and as it's a present then I'm sure he'll love it. Photoshop is also a good bit of kit though, both just as useful for different things.

Yes I would recommend Photoshop from a Younger persons point of view :icon_biggrin:

Also I think it is a bit simpler to use and is very common with use in the Graphic Industry and Courses!:icon_biggrin:

Note: I know the course I am doing at the moment involves me using it and it's helpful to be able to have access to it at home aswell as college :icon_smile:

Agree with everyone else, Adobe CS4 is the way to go, no doubt.

Dont forget though, if your son is doing a course, or is still at school or college then you may be able to get it at a student rate (a huge saving), just something to look into.

Check this page on their site; http://www.ecostsoftware.com/adobe/creative-suite-design_f884
it lists the full CS4 package that will have everything he'll need - InDesign & Photoshop being the main ones, along with Dreamweaver (web design) and Illustrator for working on vector graphics etc.

The Adobe CS4 Design Premium should have everything to get him started - Adobe's Site

Last edited:
Agree with everyone else, Adobe CS4 is the way to go, no doubt.

Dont forget though, if your son is doing a course, or is still at school or college then you may be able to get it at a student rate (a huge saving), just something to look into.

Check this page on their site; Buy Adobe Creative Suite Design software online at lowest UK price :: eCostSoftware.com - UK Software Supplier
it lists the full CS4 package that will have everything he'll need - InDesign & Photoshop being the main ones, along with Dreamweaver (web design) and Illustrator for working on vector graphics etc.

The Adobe CS4 Design Premium should have everything to get him started - Adobe's Site
Yup, a good way to go, although he can't do commercial work. Still advised though, fully featured just limits him selling any stuff he may make, but he can upgrade at a later date.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions......I really appreciate it. I got the cs4 student edition which made a perfect gift....he was very happy with it. Couldn't have done it without your help. :)

Back