• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

**Mac help needed urgently!**

joco

Help!

I logged onto my Mac yesterday and all of my usual web/email font (Arial) has been replaced by some dodgy cartoon style font...almost as though it's got a virus? I can't read it at all!

I really need help on sorting this out as I work for myself so my computer is my livelihood, eek!!! I've tried clearing the font cache but to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is this a virus do you think?

Thanks,

Jo

joco

Hmm no, i don't have any Damon. Will try that link out (it's scanning as i speak) and also invest in some for my Mac. What's the best to get for Mac? Norton Anti-Virus??

Thanks for your help, appreciated!!!

Jo:icon_smile:

Quick way to sort it, find the nearest green bin and bin it ;) it's called the iBin ;)
Facepalm, if I had a penny for the times I've done that I'd be a rich man roflmao ;)

Font

Have you installed any type management software?
Or have you deleted/moved any fonts? Both of these are likely suspects of causing the default typefaces to revert to something else. The mac does still need half a dozen system fonts to keep things running smoothly and these need to remain in the correct folders.

Re. viruses. PCs get them, Macs don't as a rule. Invest in a hard drive and backup regularly. Or simply use Time Machine which is already on your mac if it is vaguely up to date.

it's not a virus... it's just a mac os x fontbook problem.

i had the same. all you have to do is find the font that it is and delete it, and if you still want it, reinstall it. simple.

Far less than PC's :icon_biggrin:
Of course :icon_thumbup:
That's why I use Mac.
Still it's necessary to instal some additional software to protect your Mac...
NetMine may be useful for you. It's a firewall that remove all the threats (like viruses, spyware, Trojans, etc) and monitors network.
That's the only thing that protects my Mac, and still I have nothing to worry about :icon_thumbup:

it's not a virus... it's just a mac os x fontbook problem.

i had the same. all you have to do is find the font that it is and delete it, and if you still want it, reinstall it. simple.
So did I only mine substituted helvetica for helvetica fractions, oh the fun sorting that one out.

I don't have ant AV software either, and haven't for well over 15 years. Apart from a worm under os9 I don't know anyone who has a mac to ever have a problem......yet!

(touches as much wood as is feasibly possible)