**Mac help needed urgently!**

I see very little point installing AV on a mac. even if a client sends me an infected file from their PC its not going to infect a mac is it now!? I was forced to run it on an ibook when I was at uni (it had to be installed before i could connect to the network). All it did was slow down start up.

(Doh! never read whole thread!)

This is Gonna be a curse on my machines, and I didn't want to tempt fate, so I typed a response, deleted it and did it again because I have suddenly become so superstitious.

Why has everyone jumped on the virus thing, the thread said "almost as though it's got a virus?"

I have used Macs for 17 years and aquired 1 Worm from some one with infected ZIP drive from a bloody PC! I also don't run any Virus software and don't know any one with a Mac who does either.

What was the problem in the end? did an Anto Virus do anything? was it a Virus?

Last edited:
It's almost certainly not a virus (be a pretty pointless virus). As someone else said, it'll be a font management problem. Either one's become corrupt or it's been replaced by something you installed. Look what's installed with fontbook and then get rid of the offending font.

Also try creating a new user account, login with that account and then see if the same happens. It'll help narrow down where the font problem is.
Also look for font duplicates and clean them up.

Back