Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Designers, not Magicians

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by linziloop, Jul 28, 2011.

1. linziloop

linziloop Member

Thinking of doing a little infographic about the difference between graphic designers and magicians, cos apparently, some people don't know there is a difference....:icon_rolleyes:

What are some of the ridiculous requests you've had from people who think you must be able to work actual magic?!

Yesterday - make an image 20cm wide be 300dpi and 2metres wide.

That's just the beginning of course...
  2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

3. New Member

Can you send me my logo in all different fonts and different colours so that I can choose the one I like.
  4. linziloop

linziloop Member

Haha, that's just going to be the trace tool in illustrator essentially, I bet. It's certainly not going to make a photo go as big as these folk wanted and still look like a photo.

Also today - conjure up images we've never had taken of the installation of three different products.
  5. New Member

6. Corrosive

A photo! Oh jeezus, fair enough!!

Web designers get their fair share of 'mission impossible' too. Usually 'I want to be front page of Google... NOW!' oh, and they don't want to pay for it either.

In fact I did a site some time ago for a Bed & Breakfast in Clevedon. After a few days the owner came back and said 'I've been searching on these listings sites, how come our site isn't on there? What have you done wrong?' I nearly choked and had to explain three times why he wasn't going to appear on holiday/letting listings sites he hadn't paid to be on...
  7. New Member

Some people are just...

I know, last year I did a site. 2 weeks after the project finishing and customer being on holiday he rang me saying that you have taken the website off. Why have you done that? I quickly checked and found out that his hosting account had expired so they took of the website. I tried to explain it to him but he says 'You are the web designer, you sort it out'. Now how do you deal with that. I had to ring the domain hosting company to ring the client and sort things out for him. Never heard from him again.
  8. linziloop

linziloop Member

Well, seeing it's something that has to be paid for and we have no budget, not a chance. I've downloaded the trial but I think it puts watermarks on the end result.

Hehe, web designers, yup, heard things similar to this before lol! Face palm!
  9. New Member

try this

Well the idea behind the concept as far as I have done research is that you enlarge the image pixel by pixel. So lets say you wanted to double the size of the image, enlarge it by going to Image > Image Size and adding 1 pixel at the end, make sure the contraint proportions is checked and bicubic smoother is selected.

e.g. image size is 1280 x 1024. then go to Image > Image Size and type 1281 and click OK.

This is how I understood it, correct me someone if I am wrong. You can create an action that does that and do it several times.
  10. Corrosive

Well I think you did the best thing you could. I wonder if he'd take a car back to the dealer he bought it from when it ran out of petrol...? I guess that's the business we are in!
  11. synstefana

synstefana New Member

I remember when client gave me a picture of the guy lying prone on the beach and he asked me to turn him upside down ...
  12. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Don't know what the rest of you do but I regularly use magic when turning work around - that's how I manage to meet the deadlines on all those projects where design and print is an afterthought to the overall planning process.
  13. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Psychic abilities are often required for reading people's minds.
  14. sttcmghtf

sttcmghtf Member

Being asked to create a quality A4 print image from a web thumbnail is an old favourite.
  15. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

The colour isn't right. Can you match the colour on my screen....?
  16. sttcmghtf

sttcmghtf Member

I want to be able to read our company name in our favicon.
  17. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

lol :icon_biggrin:
  18. linziloop

linziloop Member

And our company name is Hyper Global Meganet Industires Incorporated.
  19. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I don't need any artwork for my leaflet just words....
  20. linziloop

linziloop Member

Oh god, seriously?! I'm yet to experience that one!