Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny Story

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by CYoung, Jun 18, 2009.

1. CYoung

CYoung Member

This morning I was on an instant messenger discussing general business stuff, then he says

"Can I have the business card you made, but just delete these two details"

I was free so just did it in what I saw to be 47 seconds lol

"Here you are <name>.....that's £47.50 please." (A little joke)

"Ok that's great, when do you need the money?"

"Don't worry about it, its all part of the service - it's free"

"You need something for your time"

(I thought he was playing along, but after this I wasn't sure)

"Seriously, <name> it took me less than a minute, count it as a freebie - all I ask is that you reccommend me etc."

Now, was I wrong in this situation, should I have taken the money? It just felt morally wrong, he's been my best customer ever since I started, but I didn't feel like a good person taking £1 per second.
  2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Personally I would also have NOT taken the money, other unscrupulous people I am sure would of, you did the right thing as like you say it took you less than a minute, a few good recommendations from him will be worth more than £47.50 long term.
  3. CYoung

CYoung Member

Well yes, he has since told me he may be needing a full business package as he is setting up another business, so potentially it could be what I call "everything" :icon_smile:

So I feel better for not taking it and hopefully it will result in more business.
  4. lauralil

lauralil Member

I think you were absolutely spot on, I did the same last week for a flyer that was an identical copy of the front of a brochure. Client asked me how much, took me 1 minute to setup so didn't charge.

In fact I did it again with another client who wanted an ipod added into a speaker image, took me 1 minute but I could have charged for it but didn't.

I would much rather be known to my clients as someone who is reliable and honest than pocket a bit of extra money like that.

Honesty in business is a huge selling point.

Today for example I had an email from my printer saying there was a special offer that would be more suitable for my short run of business cards, so they very kindly cancelled my order that I'd already paid for so that I could take advantage of a better deal elsewhere. Now thats customer service for you!

Thats what I want, a printer who will advise me best...not just take my money because they can.

So well done to thinking about what was best for my particular job you're massively in my good books even though ultimately you didn't do the job for me! :icon_biggrin:
  5. CYoung

CYoung Member

Yes, for big runs I use stationery-direct and for the little jobs, which I seem to be getting more of, I use scuba print. Had great experiences with both.
  6. Not just morally correct - it makes for great customer loyalty too!

Not just morally correct - it makes for great customer loyalty too!

Obviously, we should all keep a beady eye open for those who will take the proverbial but a good call and doesn't it feel good to do someone a good turn.

ATB, Craig.
  7. CYoung

CYoung Member

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there - There was some temptation but I would just feel terrible basically robbing someone. It felt great to just say its free and them to come back with - I may need you to do a full business package design for me.

This happened once before - Someone for some reason couldn't convert an EPS file to JPEG and they were willing to pay on some forum. People were giving her prices over £30 for something which again takes minutes. I emailed her telling her I'd do it for free. She replied telling me that I was a great help and she wants me to design her menus and business cards for a restaurant she's opening.

Honesty goes a long way. :icon_biggrin:
  8. I think you did the right thing...keeping customers happy is really important. We get lots of work through referrals and I think that's the case with a lot of businesses with good customer service.