Funny Story

CYoung

This morning I was on an instant messenger discussing general business stuff, then he says

"Can I have the business card you made, but just delete these two details"

I was free so just did it in what I saw to be 47 seconds lol

"Here you are <name>.....that's £47.50 please." (A little joke)

"Ok that's great, when do you need the money?"

"Don't worry about it, its all part of the service - it's free"

"You need something for your time"

(I thought he was playing along, but after this I wasn't sure)

"Seriously, <name> it took me less than a minute, count it as a freebie - all I ask is that you reccommend me etc."

Now, was I wrong in this situation, should I have taken the money? It just felt morally wrong, he's been my best customer ever since I started, but I didn't feel like a good person taking £1 per second.

Now, was I wrong in this situation, should I have taken the money? It just felt morally wrong, he's been my best customer ever since I started, but I didn't feel like a good person taking £1 per second.

Personally I would also have NOT taken the money, other unscrupulous people I am sure would of, you did the right thing as like you say it took you less than a minute, a few good recommendations from him will be worth more than £47.50 long term.

Well yes, he has since told me he may be needing a full business package as he is setting up another business, so potentially it could be what I call "everything" :icon_smile:

So I feel better for not taking it and hopefully it will result in more business.

I think you were absolutely spot on, I did the same last week for a flyer that was an identical copy of the front of a brochure. Client asked me how much, took me 1 minute to setup so didn't charge.

In fact I did it again with another client who wanted an ipod added into a speaker image, took me 1 minute but I could have charged for it but didn't.

I would much rather be known to my clients as someone who is reliable and honest than pocket a bit of extra money like that.

Honesty in business is a huge selling point.

Today for example I had an email from my printer saying there was a special offer that would be more suitable for my short run of business cards, so they very kindly cancelled my order that I'd already paid for so that I could take advantage of a better deal elsewhere. Now thats customer service for you!

Thats what I want, a printer who will advise me best...not just take my money because they can.

So well done to stationery-direct....by thinking about what was best for my particular job you're massively in my good books even though ultimately you didn't do the job for me! :icon_biggrin:

Yes, for big runs I use stationery-direct and for the little jobs, which I seem to be getting more of, I use scuba print. Had great experiences with both.

Not just morally correct - it makes for great customer loyalty too!

Not just morally correct - it makes for great customer loyalty too!

Obviously, we should all keep a beady eye open for those who will take the proverbial but a good call and doesn't it feel good to do someone a good turn.

ATB, Craig.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there - There was some temptation but I would just feel terrible basically robbing someone. It felt great to just say its free and them to come back with - I may need you to do a full business package design for me.

This happened once before - Someone for some reason couldn't convert an EPS file to JPEG and they were willing to pay on some forum. People were giving her prices over £30 for something which again takes minutes. I emailed her telling her I'd do it for free. She replied telling me that I was a great help and she wants me to design her menus and business cards for a restaurant she's opening.

Honesty goes a long way. :icon_biggrin:

I think you did the right thing...keeping customers happy is really important. We get lots of work through referrals and I think that's the case with a lot of businesses with good customer service.

Pauline

Back