Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freelance

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by weezcolez, Jan 3, 2009.

1. weezcolez

weezcolez New Member

Hi,

I've just set up as a freelance graphic designer straight from Uni based in South Wales. I've done a couple of jobs which have come from word of mouth as I have not advertised as such yet. I'd be very grateful for any advice from other freelancers out there regarding the best ways and places to advertise yourself and to drum up business.

Thanks

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Graphic Design Forums :icon_smile:

To start off, do you have a website?

3. Steve

Steve Member

Took the words right out of my mouth - if you don't already, get yourself a portfolio. I'm not a freelancer but a good portfolio is a must.

4. weezcolez

weezcolez New Member

I have done a flash site for myself but decided it wasn't right so am in the process of designing a new one.

Do you know of any good samples of this sort of thing online?

5. Stationery Direct

Well I would steer away from using too much flash as this won't help your SEO, if you are looking for something cheap that you can do yourself quickly then maybe go for a wordpress based website, loads of skins etc online and plugins to do all kinds of things.

Once you have a website up and running we will be able to advise you further as the website is what you need to market, just ensure you have a good portfolio and are competitively priced which obviously helps :icon_smile:

6. Steve

Steve Member

Yea stay away from flash in my opinion. Thats what I had originally and loading times became ridiculous. A possible client/employer is likely to get fed up waiting and not bother with it.

And yea bad SEO as well.

7. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Thats not to say flash isn't good for certain things on a website. Just don't make the whole thing flash.

8. Stationery Direct

Exactly, just don't have it 100% flash, ensure you have a decent amount of textual content on each page and bits of flash here and there will be fine and can look REALLY good.

9. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Welcome to the forums Weez.

I echo the comments of getting your website up, that'll be your main source of income. If you're lacking on the portfolio front, I would advise doing some free work to get the ball rolling. You could offer your services here if you wish to do so.

10. Stationery Direct

Steven did something similar to build up his portfolio...

Free Graphic Design for Print and Free Logo Design

11. Steve

Steve Member

Yea sorry - full flash sites were what I meant as they are terrible for loading times as I found out.

Websites with flash elements work well though :icon_smile:

12. dot design

dot design Member

I'd second The Boss, my site is WordPress based, there are so many plugins and google loves WordPress too, I'd highly recommend one as you can get some portfolio plugins also, will try to find some, I know they are around somewhere.....

13. Stationery Direct

Gareth, been meaning to mention, your website seems to take ages to load (maybe somebody can confirm this as it could be my connection again).

I think it is because you have too many large images on your homepage, can you not split the page so 50% of them are on page 2 for example, I'm sure there's a setting in wordpress for it to only display X amount of threads.

Just a thought :icon_dunno:

14. dot design

dot design Member

hmmm, its fast on mine, but that said I'd be interested in what people's experiences are of the loading time, because if its slow for the majority then I need to sort it, let me know people.

Thanks for bringing it up Boss, rather know than not:icon_thumbup:

15. Stationery Direct

May just be my connection, seem to remember saying this to somebody else not so long ago :icon_biggrin:

16. dot design

dot design Member

Might not be Boss, Anyone else think its slow? Be interested to know

17. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Not too bad on mine at the moment Gareth.

18. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Took about 20 seconds for it to load for me there.

In normal circumstances I'd be off to another website.

19. dot design

dot design Member

Thats good enough reason for me to change it Col, many thanks, off to look at ways of speeding the upload time.

20. Stationery Direct

I was around 20 seconds too, you need to reduce the image sizes with optimisation and show half as many posts on the homepage as mentioned above.

When you've done it give us a shout and we'll check.