Freelance

Try and get a job in the industry while you start up, you'll learn so much about how to run your own business and how to market yourself in the first year. I cut my teeth in-house before my first studio job, which was soul destroying but it gave me a fiery passion to keep moving up the ladder. Since then I've learnt so much about project management, client relations, marketing, how to run a business.

Like the team have said though, be careful of using flash. Try not to use it for anything text based, a portfolio slideshow is always a good idea though as a lead in to your portfolio section. If you are using Wordpress, don't use a theme, design your own look and feel.

Gareth, be careful you aren't using a cached version of your site. If you have Safari, open it up, empty your cashe and go to window > activity monitor, It'll bring up a window which tells you exactly what's being called up and where from. Chances are that if you're using lots of plugins then you could be sending stats or calling code from the Wordpress site or some plugin developer.

Sorry for the double post.

Just looked at Dot Design, I think the LastFm and Audioscrobbler widgets might be whats slowing the page down. They're the last things the site calls up but they move themselves up the activity hierarchy. I can't really tell though, everything's fast on 24 meg!

Back