Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Design website

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by ebevington, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ebevington

ebevington New Member

Hello guys,

I am a student, studying graphic design but I am also really into web design.
    A couple of weeks ago I set up my own website to get some freelance work coming in.
    It's worked very well for me so far and I have got myself a job in a design company.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.
    I have tried to keep it looking clean and simple to prevent confusion as I am aiming at small businesses and people who possibly don't know much about the web.

| Bevi Designs

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

I really like it. Smart and clean and should appeal to your target audience. Just one tiny crit is no h1 tag on front page but, other than that, fantastic :icon_biggrin:
  3. ebevington

ebevington New Member

Thank you very much :icon_biggrin: I really appreciate it and I am really glad that it works and looks good in someone elses eyes.

I looked at putting a h1 tag in there but i thought it sort of ruined the look of the 3 banners at the top :icon_confused:
  4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

I would just say the font is a little too small....
  5. Corrosive

Looks fine to me what you put in there. Doesn't detract from the design one jot and Google will love ya for it.
  6. ebevington

ebevington New Member

I thought the font size may be a problem as well but if I make the font any bigger it ruins the overall look.

And I have added a h1 to the home page, let me know what you think :icon_notworthy:
  7. Corrosive

Yep, as I said, looks fine.
  8. Corrosive

Difficult choice between overall look and readability but I think I'd go readability in the long run.
  9. ebevington

ebevington New Member

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys :)

The text should be more readable now as well :]
  10. chris_17

chris_17 Member

Remember, a h1 tag has *nothing* to do with font-size, it's all about semantics, also a lot of your code is quite old (<b> tags and <u> etc).

I'd have a read of some web standards resources, and make a few changes.

11. ebevington

ebevington New Member

Thanks for the tip chris i will look into that :)
    I also found out today that I am on the first page for my keyword 'web design southport' which is probably thanks to you lot making me put a h1 tag on the home page :icon_biggrin:

And you may of noticed the site has changed a bit..I decided that I really needed a proper, clean logo so the colours and the header have changed a bit. I personally think it looks tons better.
  12. Corrosive

Easy this 'SEO' lark isn't it? That's why you don't need to pay anyone hundreds of pounds to do it for you :icon_wink:
  13. ebevington

ebevington New Member

I don't know, my Dad has been helping me on it and he is an SEO guy but I don't think he's done much..if anything. Need to aim for some more keywords now I guess :]
  14. yellowww

yellowww Member

Why did you use width: 830px? You should definitely look at this link 960 Grid System