Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand security

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by BUNGALOW, Nov 10, 2014.

BUNGALOW New Member

I have started a company and was thinking about protecting the brand signature but dont want to spend thousands on legal fees for a Trademark. Is there a way you can register your logo for less? And even is it worth doing as it will only be a small business (at the moment). What are your thoughts or experiences?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Registering a Trademark is the only real way of protecting your brand although this only costs around £170 (every 10 years) from what I remember >

I would concentrate on building your business and making some money, when you can afford it make your application then.
  3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Is it possible you're mixing up a trademark with a patent there? Like the Boss says, trademarking is a couple of hundred quid tops.

What kind of a business are we talking about? Is it likely that people might end up nicking your marque?

BUNGALOW New Member

Hey Dave & Boss.

Thanks yea. I talked to a Trademark attorney just to see what my options were, and it seemed to cost allot for their help. Thought I should just check as I am starting out. But I think your right in the fact as to just leave it and develop the business and as and when I can afford it, I will pursue it.

I was just curious if there was another way apart from registering a trade mark really.

Am working as a branding/advertising creative.

Thanks for your comments.

5. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

You will probably find that 90% of that huge fee is for his time and not the actual cost of trademarking.
  6. Lol exactly - I think we're in the wrong industry BigDave... £800 for submitting a 20 minute application!
  7. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I got a quote from a lawyer once –*£200 per hour!. Of course, if they keep you out of trouble and protect your business then it's money well spent. But still…
  8. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Just counter offer with B/c @ 200
  9. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

I guess it puts it into perspective with people that think design is expensive. (Professional rates that is).