Windows 7 Pre-Order

Pixels Ink

Win 7 went on pre-order today at the lower price of £49.99 for Home Premium and £99.99 for Professional.

When officially released on Oct 22nd these costs will go up to £149.99 for Home Premium and £219.99 for Professional.

I pre-ordered a copy of Home and Professional this morning from PC World for a total cost of £139.82. Thats a saving of £230.16 on the full retail price!!

So if anyone else thinks they will be moving over to Win 7, even if it won't be until much later (2010) it might be worth your while buying the software now to save quite a bit of money.

You are also cheaper buying through the likes of PC World or Amazon as they are selling Home Premium at £44.99 and Professional at £89.99 :icon_thumbup:

PC WORLD ORDER PAGE

Snow Leopard will do me fine. ;)

I'm looking at imacs myself, but I will always have a PC around the office for various things even if I do get a mac. I'd rather have the software now though at this price :)

I am really dissappointed though that MS haven't followed Apple in their OS pricing structure.

Also worth noting if you're buying a PC with Vista now (or soon can't remember precise date), Microsoft will automatically allow you to upgrade to Windows 7 when it's available.

Also worth noting if you're buying a PC with Vista now (or soon can't remember precise date), Microsoft will automatically allow you to upgrade to Windows 7 when it's available.

s**t, I purchased a laptop yesterday with Vista!

Is Windows 7 going to be that amazing anyway? I think Vista is o.k and to be honest XP was also o.k, no massive difference between the 2, not that I noticed anyway, both just worked and ran the programs I needed them to :icon_dunno:

Vista was a pain in the arse and very very bloated. Having tried the Win7 beta I can safely say it is miles better than Vista.

I went back to XP after trying Vista.

On another note, Microsoft have now pulled their initial price discount due to overwhelming demand apparently.

So if you didn't get it on pre-order before today, you are out of luck!

Prices have now increased to £79.99 for Windows 7 Home Premium, £189.99 for Windows 7 Professional, and £199.99 for Windows 7 Ultimate.

These will rise again to their final pricing in December I believe, unless MS change their minds again and introduce full pricing sooner than that, possibly at launch date of October 22nd!

Last edited:
I got a pre-order in, it's a good deal when you think about it.
Does anyone know that when you install a new OS does it just replace the old and all you other programs are left untouched or does it uninstall everything and you're left with a blank comp?

Usually uou can upgrade from your previous system with all files etc intact.

However, due to an EU ruling forbidding Microsoft from supplying a browser with their new operating systems you can't get an upgrade version of Win 7. Ypu will have to performa clean install which means you will need to back up all your files to an external drive and then re-install all of your applications again.

When Windows 7 hits on October 22, it’ll come in flavors that are familiar to us from before with full and upgrade versions. Countries that a part of the European Union, however, won’t be getting the upgrade version due to the recent events between Microsoft and the European Commission.

“To ensure that Microsoft is in compliance with European law, Microsoft will be releasing a separate version of Windows 7 for distribution in Europe that will not include Windows Internet Explorer,” the Redmond company said in a memo to PC manufacturers.

The result of that is that European consumers looking to jump into Windows 7 will have to back up their own data and perform a clean install, according to Gizmodo. Apparently the decision behind the lack of an upgrade option stems from quality assurance. Microsoft can be relatively sure about what happens with a clean install, but it is unable to control what happens when Windows 7 is upgraded onto a system that already has browsers already installed on it.

Usually uou can upgrade from your previous system with all files etc intact.

However, due to an EU ruling forbidding Microsoft from supplying a browser with their new operating systems you can't get an upgrade version of Win 7. Ypu will have to performa clean install which means you will need to back up all your files to an external drive and then re-install all of your applications again.

I know that you have to have a browser on back up, but what about other programs and files eg, dreamweaver etc, huge itunes library, pics etc?

Yep, you will have to back up all of your music / photos etc. Applications will need to be re-installed from the install discs or re-downloaded and installed.

Back