What should I expect from my Logo Designer?

albany

I am looking to get a logo designed. Budget is small and we're not expecting the earth, but it's for a not-for-profit project and want it to still be a decent piece of work that covers all bases. The logo will be used on a website, social media, favicon, letterheads and POS stuff like mugs and sweaters.

Please can someone who knows more about this stuff fill me in on the standard files we should be expecting from the person we hire? Advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Standard software is Illustrator - so your file format should be .ai - but a lot of people still use .eps.

You should receive your logo in a various array
1 spot colour and also as spot colours (anyone)
1 colour black
1 colour white
1 CMYK

You should also receive
PNG
JPG
for social media and Ms Office.

There's probably a few more bits but that's the basics.

Your business logo represents your business and it is unique and simple. It's designed in such a manner that is being always remembered. It speaks about your business completely.

Standard software is Illustrator - so your file format should be .ai - but a lot of people still use .eps.

You should receive your logo in a various array
1 spot colour and also as spot colours (anyone)
1 colour black
1 colour white
1 CMYK

You should also receive
PNG
JPG
for social media and Ms Office.

There's probably a few more bits but that's the basics.

Many thanks Hank - that's a great help.

Is there any way you could could link me to a sample folder submission from a logo editor doing a piece of work for a client? It would be useful to have a look at these files.

Hi Albany,
You can receive the best logo services on various websites. Just google the keywords: best online platforms for logo services or something like that. You will receive perfect service and that in a small budget as you offer.
Best of luck

Really a logo on its own is not likely to be all, that effective. It should be considered as part of a whole. Your brand. An identity for your organisation that tells the story of who you are and what you do. I understand budgets are tight, so probably don’t stretch. One thing I will say though, is avoid crowd source sites. You are not going to find designers who understand what you need. Designers who know what they are talking about are not usually found bottom feeding on £50 a pop competition sites. Additionally, you could end up in hot water, as there are many examples of these ‘designers’ using stock imagery, when the EULA forbids usage for logos. Also you may find you end up with a logo that other companies have. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that.

Good luck.

As you already know the details of things you should expect from previous comments. I want you to know one thing and that is you should explain about your company to your designer in full details and also tell him or her about the imagination you have for your logo. It is because an owner always whether he knows anything about a logo or not he would always imagine his logo in certain ways. So tell your designer about your though and the making process would get easier in this.

Back