What do you think of my work?

Constructive criticism!

You were getting constructive criticism, in my opinion anyway. I would add that your typography (choice of type, relation to the subject, placement etc.) could do with a lot more work. Please do not take this personally, but a lot of the illustration work looks like your just worked through some tutorials in Computer Arts magazine. It shows ability but not individuality - you already mentioned you've seen lots of things like this in the pages of magazines - so do something different and new.

I'm not saying I'm the best designer i could be, just looking through my portfolio over the weekend there are pieces of work in there a couple of years old i will quite gladly be tearing up - onwards and upwards i say, i still have a lot of improvements to make, and so do you :icon_wink:

As for the "I'm a designer, i have a degree" comment - just because you have a degree (not a graphic design degree anyway?!) does not make you a good designer. Nor does not having a degree make someone a bad designer. The degree doesn't matter, it's the quality of the work you do that does.

Yes I agree with you my typography does need improving.

I was not getting constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is not having a patronising and a big headed opinion/attitude about something.

I never once said because I have a design degree it automatically makes me a good designer. I never said that at all. Why do people read and interpret things wrongly. To set the record straight I am constantly doubting my ability even though my clients have always been really pleased with the work I produced for them - and I'm not making that up.

Spiral,
You asked for input/feedback. The feedback/opinion I gave was based on my experience which I stated/backed up in terms of training and number of years in business - a successful business. You stated your level of training and experience - where is the difference?
I see no harm in saying that I've been working for a long time and have a busy company. Surely having comments from established designers is of value regardless of whether you like what they say?

I questioned your degree as your portfolio of work didn't appear to match what I have seen as 'graphic design degree' level of work. I have never questioned your personal ability to obtain a degree at it's widest level.

I believe I contribute well to this forum and have many votes of thanks in the time I've been here.
If you've taken offence to something that you have interpreted in a particular way then that's up to you.
All text-based comments can be read in various ways as I'm sure you are aware and tone of voice plays a huge part in any post such as this.

I have since contributed to another of your posts requesting help/opinion so I'm clearly willing to help however I can.

I shall leave it there and once again wish you good luck with your career.

Spiral,
You asked for input/feedback. The feedback/opinion I gave was based on my experience which I stated/backed up in terms of training and number of years in business - a successful business. You stated your level of training and experience - where is the difference?
I see no harm in saying that I've been working for a long time and have a busy company. Surely having comments from established designers is of value regardless of whether you like what they say?

I questioned your degree as your portfolio of work didn't appear to match what I have seen as 'graphic design degree' level of work. I have never questioned your personal ability to obtain a degree at it's widest level.

I believe I contribute well to this forum and have many votes of thanks in the time I've been here.
If you've taken offence to something that you have interpreted in a particular way then that's up to you.
All text-based comments can be read in various ways as I'm sure you are aware and tone of voice plays a huge part in any post such as this.

I have since contributed to another of your posts requesting help/opinion so I'm clearly willing to help however I can.

I shall leave it there and once again wish you good luck with your career.

Everyone who graduates with a degree in anything does not get a first, some get a good pass and some only just manage to pass their degree. All graduates are not experts in their field and yet they still go on to pursue their chosen career. When I was at uni, at my end of year final exhibition there was a clear range of abilities. On the net I have seen graduate graphic designer’s portfolios and they do show a range of abilities.

Yes you gave me good advice on my other questions and I am grateful and yes it is very useful to get advise from established designers. Maybe you have really high standards and I’m not disputing that at all but I feel your comments about my portfolio compared to a graduate graphic designer’s portfolio was not phrased appropriately to how a well established professional would normally do so. It’s not what you say it’s how you say it.

I rest my case.

Hi Spiral, i think you have a range of work and you have shown you can be very versatile,
my only comment is whats the need for all the various random shapes and spirals which seem to bare no resemblance to the piece or its content..?

cheers

james

The random shapes and spirals, well some of the pieces were designed accordingly to what my clients wanted :)

Back