Website critique

peps

Hi all
im new in this forum and would really like you to give me your comments about the first website i've done for a private client - i have just validated the css and hvae tried to do same for the html-though still 2 errors which i cannot figure out how to avoid

pls have a look and all your comments would help me develop my skills further

Welcome To Miles Ahead - Premier Driving School

thank you in advance
p

Hi,

You need a DOCTYPE and also make all your tags lowercase. Also don't use a table and use sprites for the rollovers, it'll save you a lot of time and JS. Finally put your CSS which you would have more of, if you use CSS for the rollovers in a different file.

There's more stuff, but it will be easier to identify them when you make the changes.

The Design is quite nice though I like it, maybe use a different body font, and some line spacing.

If you need any more help give me a shout. :icon_smile:

As a first website it's good. It does feel a bit squeezed and busy. . . but then it's aimed at young people!! There are a couple of lines going through tthe leaping guy you might want to lose.

As Chris says you should avoid using tables and the css should be in a separate folder but it's not a major problem.

Use descriptive title tags for each image, I'm looking specifically at images such as your telephone number graphic

Hi,

You need a DOCTYPE and also make all your tags lowercase. Also don't use a table and use sprites for the rollovers, it'll save you a lot of time and JS. Finally put your CSS which you would have more of, if you use CSS for the rollovers in a different file.

There's more stuff, but it will be easier to identify them when you make the changes.

The Design is quite nice though I like it, maybe use a different body font, and some line spacing.

If you need any more help give me a shout. :icon_smile:

Hey hi
Thanks vey much
I have validated the CSS as per W3C, however have been trying to validate the html and have changed it form html to xhtml - and have created just a test file for me
from 116 mistakes i got it down to 6 only - but still cannot figure out how to fix them - especially the ones with the tags-quite easy-but apparently not for mw
pls have a look when you have time here:

Welcome To Miles Ahead - Premier Driving School

any help would be great

now am trying to check up on rollovers and sprytes (the css has been done-was helped by a friend-so havent really done it myself and now am struggling to figure out how the things work)
thank you very much once again
p

Use descriptive title tags for each image, I'm looking specifically at images such as your telephone number graphic

hi there
thanks a lot too for the comment - what do you mean by discriptive title tags....i think they are...
you mean each alt tag - thats what i've done....but i guess you mean somehting else

and the telephone graphic - quite a easy one-really just a PSD graphic...& bit of typography - basic
simple but not that bad
p

Chris hi again
new one i was working one - have just done the art work
Sprint Cleaning

however now - when i slice do you think i should slice (FW) & export to DW, but as i see this is exactly the moment where all converts into tables (td)

i may be very wrong & was trying to centre the whole image...could you please help me
thanks a lot
and to all the other guys
any comments good for me as im learning & not that easy
thasnk for having you all
p

Do they operate all over the UK or just in one area?
I'm struggling to find a locality... oh wait - just saw the little map and postcodes...

It's not going to be very good trying to get local business on the search engines as people are more likely to search "Enfield Driving Instructors" than "Driving instruction EN1"

Definately push the nearby towns and cities.

Well done
Jen

Do they operate all over the UK or just in one area?
I'm struggling to find a locality... oh wait - just saw the little map and postcodes...

It's not going to be very good trying to get local business on the search engines as people are more likely to search "Enfield Driving Instructors" than "Driving instruction EN1"

Definately push the nearby towns and cities.

Well done
Jen

Thanks Jen
THats another side I'm going to focus after I ge tto gripsps to all the html & css, SEO would be the next
challenge & more questions will com up
thank you

Back