SHOWCASE: Sketches, Doodles & Illustrations

View attachment 6849

Finally finished this, not for anything specific just for practise. Started it I think November last year then forgot about it! Just got round to finishing it this morning. I'm self-taught illustration wise (studied Graphic Design, not illustration) so any feedback welcome.

Nice Work!

I think the colours work well. I would just say that the skull could do with some sharper edges. It may even work better with skull inverted to how you have drawn it. So all in white, with the lines and shading revealing the background. You could even do this by just using the eraser tool as a sharp pencil. It looks like it could also be a nice logo, perhaps with some typography included?

That looks really good. Never heard of Krita, might take a look.

If I was being hyper-critical, she looks very slightly boss-eyed. I would also look at the top lip, a bit lop-sided?
Maybe some stronger highlights in the hair? Pupils need to be a tiny bit blacker maybe.

I made some adjustments based on your feedback. The eyes definitley look better now slightly adjusted and with darker pupils. I adjusted the lips too, and added some more highlights to the hair.

Portrait 1.1.jpg

I think the colours work well. I would just say that the skull could do with some sharper edges. It may even work better with skull inverted to how you have drawn it. So all in white, with the lines and shading revealing the background. You could even do this by just using the eraser tool as a sharp pencil. It looks like it could also be a nice logo, perhaps with some typography included?

Thanks, I started off with just a single line drawing but roughed it up with some more lines. I did in Illustrator so its all vectors so I might just try removing some lines to see how it looks.

Homage to my first ever freelance gig, designing posters for the legendary Sheffield music venue, The Leadmill.
Rubbing shoulders with Jarvis Cocker and then getting chased by Po-Po for bill posting around Sheff city centre on a Saturday night.

The good times! :D

IsoLeadmill-insta.jpg

Homage to my first ever freelance gig, designing posters for the legendary Sheffield music venue, The Leadmill.
Rubbing shoulders with Jarvis Cocker and then getting chased by Po-Po for bill posting around Sheff city centre on a Saturday night.

The good times! :D

View attachment 7000

I saw The Pogues at The Leadmill. Shane MacGowan actually managed to make it on stage too.

These are some illustrations i did recently also two portraits. :D
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hey Nayan.

Digging all of these but the one that stands out to me is the top one which has really got something.
LOVE that one! :D

Great work.

Hate to nitpick your work - but the shadow of the runner doesn't match the shadow of the building - or does it?
Same as above about nitpicking but it should be angled more than it is. The light source is 'top right' as we're looking at it so the shadow would need tilting to the left, basically it needs the same slant as the shadow at the bottom of the building.

Actually if you wanted to be 'accurate' the shadow on the van is too deep as well based on the shallow depth to the shadow on the building.

Well spotted.

That bugs me too.
I usually set the light source directly above to avoid that but tried something different for depth.
There isn't a good algorithm of getting the shadows in isometrics. At least, not that I've found.
Especially for organic shapes like people which is why most of them are in the shadowed area.

Think the runner is going for an early shower until I solve it. ;)

Well spotted.

That bugs me too.
I usually set the light source directly above to avoid that but tried something different for depth.
There isn't a good algorithm of getting the shadows in isometrics. At least, not that I've found.
Especially for organic shapes like people which is why most of them are in the shadowed area.

Think the runner is going for an early shower until I solve it. ;)

You can just say it's more an alternate reality and there are 2 suns!

Generally speaking your shadows (assuming you don't change position of light source) a vertical shadow would be at 90 degrees to a vertical wall (ie at horizontal), the depth of the shadow would be creative license as the sun isn't there. For the runner you basically you forgot the extra 30 degrees (isometric is 30 degrees for those that don't know) you add in when doing the isometric angles, if you get me, on the person.

In all honesty it's a little hard to explain, I work in 3D (perspective, isometric and axonometric which is even worse than isometric lol) so much that I just 'know' where the shadows should fall from looking at it these days lol

Generally speaking your shadows (assuming you don't change position of light source) a vertical shadow would be at 90 degrees to a vertical wall (ie at horizontal), the depth of the shadow would be creative license as the sun isn't there. For the runner you basically you forgot the extra 30 degrees (isometric is 30 degrees for those that don't know) you add in when doing the isometric angles, if you get me, on the person.

In all honesty it's a little hard to explain, I work in 3D (perspective, isometric and axonometric which is even worse than isometric lol) so much that I just 'know' where the shadows should fall from looking at it these days lol

There is a way of making them using the SSR method but it isn't at all perfect and where 2D iso is a bit of a bitch, especially with non geometric shapes.
If I remember, you put a unified copy object on it's side and then do the SSR thing.
I've tried assorts of things to find a formula to make them but I've yet to find the holy grail. :(

I'm glad you guys picked up on that as I wasn't happy with it bit didn't have enough distance to see it objectively so I moved things around a bit.

Thing is, we don't get too many shadows in Sheffield.
When we do we call them Sun Ghosts. ;)

Back