Record World feedback

brunel

Hello, I am in the process of re-designing my logo ideas for Record World (a fictional company). I would like some feedback prior to starting, and perhaps a few ideas.

Here is the brief:

"Record World is one of the last big record stores in LA. We are famous for our variety of music and we are well-known among famous musicians and celebrities who regularly visit our store. We used to have two more stores in the US but sadly they didn’t work out and had to close due to financial issues. This is why we want to revamp our main store in LA so we can attract more customers. We want our new logo to keep our vintage style but we want to do more in terms of social media and stuff like that so you’ll have to keep that in mind.

We’ve been seeing that vinyl records have become extremely popular again lately. This is also why our main store in LA is doing much better right now. We want to begin focusing more and more on vinyl and want our logo to reflect that. We really like the logos on some of these old vinyl records that we sell in our store. I’ve attached some pictures of our vinyl records that I’d like you to base the logo design on. Would you be interested in working with us?"

After a bit of research, I think I should focus more on the LA music scene. Surf rock was popular in the 1960s. Every vinyl record is different so I think it would be difficult to capture everything in one logo. I didn't know what colours to use, if any, in my designs below. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with record stores as they are all different. I'm now thinking red, yellow and orange might be suitable, to capture the California vibe. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Record World 2.png
    Record World 2.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 13
The top one is the only one that really works, but the mark needs refining and simplifying, and not keen on the font.

Maybe try a very simple world globe as a disc?

Thank you for the feedback. I have modified the top design, and changed the typeface to Cooper Black. I wasn't sure what typeface to use, but I noticed Cooper Black has been used on quite a lot of album covers, including The Doors and The Beach Boys (both from California). I borrowed the colours from the LA Woman album cover. I'm a bit worried I've lifted too much from this design though? The mark is now slightly simpler.

The second design is new and more textual. As its quite big, I have created a monogram for social media usage.

Attachments

• Record World 3.png
    Record World 3.png
    646.2 KB · Views: 7
The first one is a bit better but the text needs to be bigger I think.

The second one, you've designed a label to go on a record, not a logo. You've tried to do two things at the same time. Some of the text is way too small.

Back