Printed edge business cards needed

Pickles

Hi everyone,

I have a client who is looking for some printed edge business cards this week and I'm struggling to find decent people in the UK. Not sure which is the best option to go for: Litho printing, black board & screenprinting?

This is what we'd like:

Quantity: 1000, 1 name.
  • Luxury brand (however there is a budget!)
  • They have requested 400gsm approx card in a smooth silk coated stock - however open to other suggestions.
  • Front: This will be gold Pantone metallic 872c (background colour) with black & white text + white graphic.
  • Back: This will be black (background colour) with white, gold text and a grey graphic (Black tint).
  • Other: Black printed edges - no white edges.
Artwork will be supplied, the attached file is only a guide. Please get in touch if you can help. Really appreciate your suggestions too.

Many thanks
Lynne

BusinessCard_rough.jpg

On here there's Boss Hog who's at Stationery Direct, not sure if they do edge painted cards though? Then minutemanpress which is Peter from MinutemanPress in Bristol, again not sure if they do edge painting. Both great quality, both great customer services. Couldn't pick them apart if I had too.

If neither of them do edge painting, there's always Blush. Blush°° Letterpress printers in the UK, greeting cards, personalised stationery, wedding stationery
I've been in touch with them before, and they're great with customer service, although a little on the pricey side.

I was going to ask if any of the printers on here did edge painting for business cards. Look forward to the responses. Blush are awesome but cost so much!

I have a mate who's had some edge painted cards done by Evolution Print about 12 months ago so maybe worth contacting them but be warned, edge painting + letter press + evolution print = eye wateringly expensive!!

The only people who seem to offer edge painting are letterpress printers but I don't understand why :3. I'm after a litho printer who can do it (as is pickles by the sounds of it)

This is proving to quite a difficult task! I appreciate everyones comments. Keep them coming!

I've come across a few printers in America but can't believe it's so difficult to get it done here! I have a feeling it will be eye wateringly expensive. Not sure why it's only letterpress printers but I've tried to contact a few printers (I've had to search all day for!!!!). Will let you all know if I find out more.

That's the conclusion I've come to, too!
If you can get hold of a 'brayer' (American?!) which as far as I can see looks like a lino-printing ink roller and possibly some lino printing inks (or if you know a smaller printer who uses Pantone inks - like VanSon) I reckon with care you could do it yourself. A lot of experimenting would be needed. Worth trying with paint and a pad of some sort.

Everything I've read does stress the need to have cleanly cut edges - so find a printer who knows how to cut cards properly so there is no 'fluffiness' on the edge. I don't think that business cards that have been slit would work...(?) and the card has to be heavy (least weight recommended is 160lbs which is about 430gsm). As many litho machines will struggle to print on that weight that's why it's the letterpress printers who are providing the edge-painted cards. And that's why they can be eye-wateringly expensive!

I've just had a few sample packs through from various places that do edge printing.

Blush, Evolution Print, Typoretum, Glasgow Press and Impressed.

As others have said, these all seem to be letterpress companies, and all pretty pricey.

That's awesome guys, thanks SOo much for the suggestions and much needed info!

So far I've only had 1 quote back, and well I'm starting to think all I need is a black sharpie pen! lol

Like I say I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Wow, I'm so shocked at the difference on price and suggestions printers have come back to me with :icon_eek: I've had quotes from £400 - £1,000!!!! (1000 cards) Also the lack of communication when asking for samples is also interesting.

The solid areas might be problematic for letterpress... and they have to make four blocks (or is it five with the tint?). So it's 4 or five runs through the machine...

I would also get a standard 2 colour litho print quote on 400gsm and give the client the choice. If they hate the white edge buy them a sharpie!!

I'd picked up a card from a local Grad show that had a streak through. Although I'd realised it was a composite card I'd wondered where they had been printed - so thanks for this Moomin

Hi found this and thought it might work for you? Luxe Business Cards | moo.com
They have four different edge choices and might be more affordable

Thanks for this. I did look at these as the prices are good (especially as they have a discount just now!!!) however I think they are triplexed cards so they would still show white on the layers down the side which I wanted to avoid due to the block colours I'm using. I might get these for another client project though.

Well I'm still waiting on more samples getting sent though. But so far I would have to recommend an Aberdeen printing company. Windmill Printing | High quality printing, foiling, embossing, debossing, duplexing, litho and thermography We've used this company a long time ago and thought they would be too expensive. Turns out they can pretty give me what I've asked for at a decent price (compared to other quotes not like Moo). Not sure if I'll use them just yet but I'll keep everyone updated when I eventually get them printed.

Hi everyone,

I have a client who is looking for some printed edge business cards this week and I'm struggling to find decent people in the UK. Not sure which is the best option to go for: Litho printing, black board & screenprinting?

This is what we'd like:

Quantity: 1000, 1 name.
  • Luxury brand (however there is a budget!)
  • They have requested 400gsm approx card in a smooth silk coated stock - however open to other suggestions.
  • Front: This will be gold Pantone metallic 872c (background colour) with black & white text + white graphic.
  • Back: This will be black (background colour) with white, gold text and a grey graphic (Black tint).
  • Other: Black printed edges - no white edges.
Artwork will be supplied, the attached file is only a guide. Please get in touch if you can help. Really appreciate your suggestions too.

Many thanks
Lynne

View attachment 1577
I know this post was quite a while back but just thought I'd add that I've requested a sample pack from Solopress which has all sorts of awesome stuff in it like nice feeling business cards and flyers with sharp printing quality. You might want to give these guys a go if you're in a rush too they have 24 hour turnaround on all their printing services. Request a sample pack from their site: Solopress Printing Services Offers FREE UK Next Day Delivery if you're interested. They're Essex based.

I can supply a solution where i can actually print white ink onto a coloured board from the colourplan range by GF Smith. There are a couple of limitations on colour especially the dark shades which cause feeding issues but even these are being overcome. This means you won't have white edges on your cards. Works for anything else as well and as it is produced digitally you could actually have a fully personalised piece on coloured card with white ink. Only limitation is SRA3 maximum sheet size.

For more information drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Got the Luxe business cards from Moo the other week - my advice would be to not get too excited about them, they don't look as good in real life as they do on the pictures, they do just look like paper pieces with some coloured card sandwiched between them :/

Back