Pricing for Logo Design

What do you think is a fair price for logo design?

• £0?-£20

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • £30-£50

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • £50-£75

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • £75-£150

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • £150-£250

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • £250-£450

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • £450 +

Votes: 37 15.5%

• Total voters
I voted for between £250 and £450 depending on the client. I think at an hourly rate of £20-£30 an hour, that's only getting you 10-14 hours at best and to be honest, for a concept and a strong logo to develop, I think you need about that if not more.

In regards to brand identity, I think that's a whole different kettle of fish. Companies should be prepared to pay a hell of a lot of money for great brand identity. I always refer to Graham 'Logo' Smith's pricing page when thinking about brand identity. Obviously he's a seasoned professional with lots of years experience, but, his prices go up to as much as £5000-£10,000. It's hard to put a price on something like this, because afterall, it really does depend on the company you're working for.

A proper branding project should be costing £450+. All the hours spent on research and development as well as final design development and incorporation on stationary etc.. that goes into a project of that size deserves that sort of fee, if not more. However I'm not stupid. I'd love to charge that sort of fee. But I know for a fact I'd get no clients what so ever. I charge between £100 and £300, simply because if I don't, I'd have no work at all, and wouldn't be able to pay my bills. I do realise it's low but that's just the way it is. If I start low, I can increase them as I gain experience. Some won't like it, but they're not paying my bills. I am.

I'm not suggesting we all go out and charge £5000 per project haha. I agree with Ross. I charge between £100 and £300 for a logo then £500-£1000 for bigger branding projects. Have to keep it realistic.

I think with logo design, it's almost a case of finding out what a clients budget is, then working out what you can produce within that budget. Obviously some people don't like to tell you their budget, or just don't have a clue what it should be. Once I have an idea of the brief, I normally offer 2 options:
• £200 for 3-4 concepts, inc. 2 round of amends on favourite logo
or
• £350 for 6-8 concepts, inc. unlimited reasonable amends (ie not changing the brief halfway through)

I think with logo design, it's almost a case of finding out what a clients budget is, then working out what you can produce within that budget. Obviously some people don't like to tell you their budget, or just don't have a clue what it should be. Once I have an idea of the brief, I normally offer 2 options:
• £200 for 3-4 concepts, inc. 2 round of amends on favourite logo
or
• £350 for 6-8 concepts, inc. unlimited reasonable amends (ie not changing the brief halfway through)

I couldn't agree with you more - in fact it's almost as though you've read straight from my price guide! I charge a little less, but my two packages are regular and express logo design - the express entitles you to 4 concepts with only two rounds of changes, the regular would get you 6 concepts but with 3 rounds of changes...

If I'm going to have to make more than 3 rounds of major changes then I punish them with a nice "additional changes charge", which I make them aware of prior to incuring it of course! This gives me great satisfaction, as nothing pisses me off more than a client who makes changes for the sake of it, or to "see what something would look like"!!

Some brilliant points are coming out in this thread - its nice to hear the way others deal with this issue, and I think it sounds like bespoking the price for each client is the way to go... Personally, I like to provide them with a ballpark figure before I give a tailor made quote - helps me gauge their budget.

It depends on the client and what his expectations and requirements are. If it is a large corporation they will require a style manual including corporate identity guidelines and instructions. This can run into thousands of pounds but this is a valid price because the exposure will be much higher that for a small start-up.

I have 3 logo packages and my lowest is £480.00+VAT and my highest is £1440.00+VAT each with varying levels of service and deliverables and I have no problems in selling either of those packages.

I used to have a sliding scale on pricing depending on a client's budget but more often than not I'd end up working for very little money as most client's will be unwilling to tell you their true budget. By sticking to my pricing it is up to that client to decide whether they want to work with me or not and not the other way around. This instantly puts me in the driving seat and also shows the client that professional design is and should be a premium service.

I never tell clients I am going to give them a certain number of concepts or amendments, and certainly not 'unlimited revisions until you are happy'. You are the professional. By giving a lot of concepts and then multiple amendments you are handing cruise control to the client. They have come to you for professional advice and the hope that you can solve their design problem. by throwing out multiple concepts I personally see that as throwing designs out until something sticks. You should be guiding the client as to what you know will work best for them.

In order to do that you need to do a lot of research into their businesses background, their competitors, their filed of work. What are the clients aims and goals? All of that takes time and in my opinion if you spend less than a day (8 hours) on pure research then you aren't doing it properly.

These days I very rarely present more than 2 concepts to a client, and a lot of the time it is just the one. With good research you should be able to nail down the right design for the client with only a few minor tweaks to follow.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't always go smoothly, we all know what clients are like. However, by setting the standard at the start, and putting yourself in the position of the expert the client is more likely to take the correct advice from you rather than ending up with a mishmash of what you think is best for them and the changes they request.

As professionals we are constantly battling against stock logo and spec work websites along with cheap rate sites like <<removed>>. We need to show clients the true value of working with us as designers and by doing so we can charge reasonable rates instead of scrabbling just to get the work in and doing ourselves an injustice.

#MyTuppenceWorth

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely make logos anymore but whenever I do I set my pricing according to the company's budget for startups with small budget around £50 - £100 and for bigger companies around £150

I hate costing for a logo as it's one of the most challenging parts of design for me as it's one of the ultimate "how long is a piece of string" questions.
Sometimes I can knock out three designs and hit the mark first time.
Others I'm working on them for weeks.

It's always a challenge to tell in advance how long you need for a logo, mostly clients don't agree on the expected hours they prefer a fixed price.

I find many clients these days think £300 is too expensive for a logo (this would be for just the logo and would include several options and developments). When I started my business about 12 years ago (after several years working for at other design agencies), I was charging £300 per logo and now I find it difficult to find clients prepared to pay £250.

The industry is now saturated with $20 logo offers and websites for $25 and persuading smaller companies to spend a realistic amount of between £250 and £300 and above for logo design these days is an art form.

I think to deliver on a truly great logo and ensure that it really encompass's the brand and is an identity we should all be charging MORE!!!

I find clients who pay more for a logo tend to be easier to work with and get a better finished product. BUT then I am a bit of a hard arse when it comes to dellivering value and the only way to deliver premium value is to charge for it.

Considering the time for designing and meeting/reviewing with clients we charge £125 minimum but may increase this if a client wants meetings in person etc.
I was recently challenged over pricing of various services which made me have a re-think. One area that keeps coming up is 'cheaper' logo designs to get a new client on board. I personally feel that using such may give out the wrong vibes that we 'can' do other services cheaper just to buy their business. This generally devalues our skills and we lose credibility with the larger more profitable clients.

I was recently challenged over pricing of various services which made me have a re-think. One area that keeps coming up is 'cheaper' logo designs to get a new client on board. I personally feel that using such may give out the wrong vibes that we 'can' do other services cheaper just to buy their business. This generally devalues our skills and we lose credibility with the larger more profitable clients.

I find this happens occasionally. Potential clients come to me because they like my work and they like my professional approach, but they want me to drop my rates because someone else is cheaper. They fail to see that my rates are at the rate they are because of those two factors. I don't sell products, I sell a service. THAT is what they're paying for.

Last edited:
I wholly agree. I realised a long time ago that I must give value to what I do because not everyone else will. Just don't sell yourself short a small number of extra clients.

I find it hard to set a fixed price for something as important as the logo.

We might discuss a maximum price, but I tend to charge by the hour

Price should be decide by what type of logo to be designed. If it is simple logo to design then it could be cheap price but if it is take to long time to design then it would be little expensive. I do design logo, flyer, banner and business card.

Back