New iMac 27" - which one to go for?

jamieDnm

I'm upgrading from a 2007 20" iMac to a 27" machine in the next month. I use this in my home office for InDesign CS6, Photoshop and Illustrator.

Can anyone advise on which 27" model to go for - the 2.7ghz or the 3.1ghz?

Will the 3.1ghz model make any difference bearing in mind the software I will be running? I'm not going to be doing any 3D rendering or video work, just print and digital design.

Many thanks

I believe Apple are updating their iMac and Macbook Pro lines very soon, this month probably so I'd wait. Not sure if the 3.1ghz would make any noticeable difference though, you'd probably notice more performance getting an SSD or at least that's what a few people have told me.

If you go down the SSD route you'll need to go for the SSD & SATA combo as 256gb on it's own isn't going to stand up long when you're running and saving CS6 files.

I doubt you'll notice much difference between the two processors so would suggest opting for the 2.7GHz and max out the RAM (it makes a huge difference, especially with Creative Suite). Don't buy your RAM from Apple though as you can get the same thing from Crucial for a fraction of the price.

I recently bought an iMac 27", 2.7 GHz and it's great. I think for the kind of work you're doing it's fine. With the so called impending new iMacs coming soon, you might be able to get a good bargain on the older ones. It really depends on what you want to spend.

As bigdave says, max out the RAM with the difference in cost and things should be just as good.

Nice to see the iMac get a refresh by Apple yesterday - Some nice new options and the specs being boosted across the range, bye bye Superdrive though!

Back