My sites are not loading! ISP or hosting company. HELP!

bogfrog

Hello,

I have been having issues with my websites not being loaded on random peoples computers. This is all of my sites which are hosted with Othello hosting.

I have a supplier refusing (and rightly so) too recommend me until its sorted and a couple of clients and two of my DJ's who also cannot load my site. It's very sporadic but I am beggining to wonder how much business i have lost from this issue

Your DJ Mobile Disco Hampshire, Winchester wedding mobile DJ, Southampton DJ & New Forest Wedding mobile disco
"New Forest Wedding DJ, Mobile DJ, Mobile Wedding disco Toby"
Printing Graphic Design UK flyers business cards colour litho print UK

I have personally had this problem and it was down to a dynamic IP. I got it changed by my ISP to a fixed one and it is now sorted. Othello (DC hosting) have not been very helpful and said its an ISP problem and to talk too them (of which I do not have accounts for so thats impossible). The problem I have are these people are being able to load up everyone elses websites across the world with out a problem!!

This leads me to assume it is either thier system or the way they host

or

Its the way my site is designed perhaps (mainly just simple HTML and PHP).

Basically I need this sorted and am willing to pay a small charge to anyone who can get too the bottom of it and fix it. I will be moving to another hosting company if this is not sorted as that seems a logical step in removing one of my suspicions to the cause.

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited:
Hi, It sounds like a hosting problem to me, of course there are a number of things you can do to help the speed of your site etc. looking at the DJ Mobile Diso site your background image takes a very long time to load compared to the other requests you're making, so optimise this to start. It could also be a bandwith issue.

Also, you're using tables. Which a) aren't semantic b) very old c) increase load times

Out of interest is each site hosted individually or do you have them on one VPS? If you have the problems a lot often a call to the provider and threat to leave does the trick!

Hi, It sounds like a hosting problem to me, of course there are a number of things you can do to help the speed of your site etc. looking at the DJ Mobile Diso site your background image takes a very long time to load compared to the other requests you're making, so optimise this to start. It could also be a bandwith issue.

Also, you're using tables. Which a) aren't semantic b) very old c) increase load times

Out of interest is each site hosted individually or do you have them on one VPS? If you have the problems a lot often a call to the provider and threat to leave does the trick!

All three sites are in a thing called hostsphere under the same company.

thanks for that. They seem to think it is not thier problem and I did threaten too leave today and they said there is nothing they can do basically as it would be guess work.

one person who is having issues said it now works which suggests it is an ISP issue :icon_confused:

Do you think the load time is an issue as the people who are having problems are not having issues loading any other big sites although this needs to be sorted.

If all the sites are hosted on one VPS then things like load times affect bandwidth so that would be an issue, use chrome dev tools and monitor how many HTTP requests you're making and how long each asset takes to load, your background image took around 400ms to load which is way to long.

Just remember about file formats and use the save for web and devices in photoshop.

If you still have problems, Media Temple may be a better option I know a lot of people who use their grid service and have had very few problems.

Hope this helps

Chris

if you want you can host on my server (I'll give you a test area) and see if it works? You could send a link to people who are having problems ot test. :icon_smile:

There is a chance it's not the host. I had an problem (admittedly quite a while ago now) where I would suddenly not be able to look at or FTP any of the sites I hosted with one particular host - other randomly chosen sites loaded, and my sites were loading via my phone.

Turned out it was my ISP allocating dodgy IPs that were being blocked by the host co's firewall (DoS related I believe) - and it turns out a with few other hosts too. I can't remember the detail now but there was quite a wrangle with the ISP saying it wasn't their problem but in the end they admitted it was and fixed it.

Possibly worth asking if the people who can't load sites are on the same ISP?

Last edited:
Back