Logo

ARRIVALS

I'm in the middle of working on a logo for a local DIY & Bathroom company.

Here's a bit about them.

They're quite an old family run business, there's no flashiness about them. No shiny showroom, clean shelves of tools etc.. (ala B&Q). It's more like an old tool-shed, though cleaned up, with hard wood floors, lots of traditional tools etc. You can hear, see and smell the wood workshop next door.

So all that being said, I want a simple, traditional looking logo. Nothing flashy, no bells and whistles.
I'm sticking to black (or dark grey) and white. But can't decide whether to have some sort of mark, maybe a very rough stamp-like image of an old woodworking tool, something like a plane or woodblock hammer and chisel?

I quite like the typefaces used here. I've edited a basic font, giving it rounded edges. It's given it a softer less corporate look. The question is, does it need any logo marks with it?

I've hit a brick wall! :icon_Wall:

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Or a curl of wood shaving...

I would also make the tag line a bit bigger so that it doesn't disappear when small.

I think if a logo mark/image was used with it, but in a subtle manner, then yes, it could certainly ad that little extra 'something'. Certainly have a go, see how it looks. You can always come back to this version if you find it doesn't.

Cheers for the input chaps/chapettes. I've played around with a few basic marks, old tools/shavings etc, it just doesn't look right. It looks rather fussy which isn't what I'm after. I think the logotype works pretty nice on their own, minus a few tweaks. I'll keep playing though! I may stumble upon something!

I think it looks pretty good as is. I can picture 'Pickersgill' stamped onto pieces of would or laser-burnt into wooden sign. I like it :icon_smile:

I know you have mentioned that you want to steer away from a logo, but here a few concepts to think over.

Wood shavings have been mentioned in this thread, a wood shaving in my eyes has the potential to make a letter P?

Have you considered subtly changing a letter from the brand name to represent a tool used or icon, either in the negative space created or adapting the typeface again? This could be symbolic of how the company go about their business. You have mentioned that they are nothing flashy, just seem to get on with the job hand, subtly going about their work??

Dont know what you think these are just a few of my suggestions that i thought i would add to the melting pot!

I like it just as it is, clean, simple and nice typeface. Not sure if the text beneath may look better finishing a little closer to the g from above.

its great how it is, it says they are standard traditional retailers to me. Thats what they are trying to convey so win, win.

Yeah i think is a real example of simple and effective not simple and still simple ha..it works!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Here is the finished logo that they chose, with a couple of variations. I ended up playing around with the kerning of the bottom line of text. I did try it a little closer to the G, but as it got closer it got more uncomfortable. It scales down quite nicely as it is though.

:icon_thumbup:

Attachments

• Pickersgill1.jpg
    Pickersgill1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Pickersgill2.jpg
    Pickersgill2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Pickersgill4.jpg
    Pickersgill4.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 18
I like how it's ended up; simple and minimalistic, yet still quite stylish and fit the description of the business well so it's suitable, too. Nice work.

P.S - I get a 403 forbidden page when trying to access your site!

Just had a wee nosey as I haven't looked at your site for a few months (P.s I love it...and is that actually your studio?) Looked at your pickersgill section, the image with the work vehicles- were you meant to put your logo's onto these? I cant see them, so just messaging just in case you uploaded the incorrect file!

Also on a cheekier/amature note, where can you get images similar to the ones you use to show off your designs- boards, t-shirts, macs, mobiles...etc. Is there anywhere you can get them for free usuage?

Regards,

Back