Is your design business threatened by Logo Farms

dot design

Just following up on the StartUpBritain outrage that saw them recommending a US 'Logo Farm' that uses mostly unpaid competition / crowdsourcing for it's design,:icon_cursing:... I've got a question for you.

Is your design business threatened by Logo Farms?

Just following up on the StartUpBritain outrage that saw them recommending a US 'Logo Farm' that uses mostly unpaid competition / crowdsourcing for it's design,:icon_cursing:... I've got a question for you.

Is your design business threatened by Logo Farms?

Well if this sort of thing continues, it won't help. This is absoloutely diabolical!

Hi guys,

I know the message has subsequently changed but this was absolutely deplorable. As a community we really need to pull together, design ethically and educate our clients. I also think we need to support young designers wherever possible by giving them opportunities, through things like internships or apprenticeships to stop their creative energy being wasted on these leeches -

I've decided to start blogging on this and support the NoSpec campaign, this is one of the biggest challenges that our industry has ever had to face.

“99 Problems but Design ain’t Oneâ€: The Great Crowdsourcing Swindle - Web Design York| Design and Marketing | Ownbeat CreativesWeb Design York| Design and Marketing | Ownbeat Creatives

Twitter - @ownbeatcreative

My dad's been pestering me to 'knock up a quick logo' for his company but wants something generic and crap (he mentioned a 'swoosh').

When I tried to explain that I need more to go on and don't want to just put my name to any old piece of shite, he suggested I tell people I know at Uni to design some logos and he'll pay £50 for the one he likes most.

As far as I'm aware he doesn't know about crowdsourcing competition sites, so it's slightly frightening that he's come up with the suggestion off his own back.

Obviously I tried to explain how it's affecting the industry in a negative way, but he just replied "it's a dog eat dog world. You've got to adapt or you go under".

If I can't even get my own father to appreciate the value of my time and future profession, what luck do I have with strangers looking for the best deal?

My dad's been pestering me to 'knock up a quick logo' for his company but wants something generic and crap (he mentioned a 'swoosh').

When I tried to explain that I need more to go on and don't want to just put my name to any old piece of shite, he suggested I tell people I know at Uni to design some logos and he'll pay £50 for the one he likes most.

As far as I'm aware he doesn't know about crowdsourcing competition sites, so it's slightly frightening that he's come up with the suggestion off his own back.

Obviously I tried to explain how it's affecting the industry in a negative way, but he just replied "it's a dog eat dog world. You've got to adapt or you go under".

If I can't even get my own father to appreciate the value of my time and future profession, what luck do I have with strangers looking for the best deal?

In my experience family and friends are the worst to design for but you're right it's worrying - a recent family member offered me some free samples (Bath Bombs shaped like cupcakes :icon_cursing:!!) to brand his new business and build an e-commerce website!!

Importantly, I think we all need to share what strategies have worked with clients when we get faced with those who are tempted by spec design or simple don't value our profession .

For one, I'm going to make sure I offer much more transparency over the process I go through with clients (maybe a blog piece or section on the ownbeat site about the design process - even for something as simple as a logo) I think there's an assumption that if you can 'draw' or use 'PS' it's a five minute job to knock out a thought through identity.

We've got to articulate the business benefits too (cost benefits, ongoing relationships etc), be flexible in terms of the services we offer - be a complete solution not just a pretty graphic and I think someone somewhere mentioned thinking 'locally' well that's a good idea too because it makes the other things a bit easier.

Ultimately, we need to retain the professional and moral high ground though, we certainly can't beat 99 designs at their own game! There's also a certain degree of solace in accepting that some people will never be convinced (even the ones closest to us - at least you got offered 50 quid and not soapy angel cakes!!)

Besides Paul, you're work it pretty damn good, I don't think you'll struggle for clients!

Paul, you could take £50 off your Dad and give him a logo that takes you half an hour to knock-up and tell him that *made-up name* designed them... your name isn't on the logo and you're £50 quid better off!

Or, just save the image, complete with Shutterstock watermark, and hand that over. I hear that's the trend with all the 'professional designers' that contest sites house :)

Back