I HATE my design job...

He might have a unusual way of teaching and is actually teaching you in reverse so if you do the opposite of his designs and do the opposite of his teachings you will learn great design

Sue him for design crimes :D

Although i am pretty glum that i have to go back to costa, i know its the right thing to do for the moment. I just hope i can get my freelancing off the ground.

Use your dislike of working at Costa to drive your ambition to get out and work for yourself!

I can't believe so many people missed the opportunity to say...

"WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE"

; )

Sorry for the cliche of cliche's.

If I was you I would try and do the Costa coffee work to pay the bills and any use any free days to do any type of paid graphic design work.

Im glad you find my situation so amusing. maybe i should say the same about your logo design yes?

Please do. It will only help me focus more and try harder for better results.
:icon_wink:

Apologies if I hit a nerve. I think its clear what you got to do after 3 months of unhappiness. Change is needed. However I know its hard and that's why I tried to make my statement short and sweet with a little bit of humor. I don't want to mention about the hard times I have had, but everyone's been their and you just have to roll with the punches and try harder.

I wish you luck.

I doubt me saying "wake up and smell the coffee" would help you with your designs at all. Just like it doesn't help me, it's unproductive and offense.

Im well aware I have to 'roll with the punches', but I just don't need the unnecessary ones.

I think it's pretty clear from what you've posted that you know the right path to take but you're a bit anxious about walking away from a job - however bad - in the field you want to work in. On balance, then, I think what may feel like a backwards step is actually starting over with a bit more experience and a greater knowledge of what you do and don't want from a design career. I also get the impression that taking no action may ultimately damage your long-term prospects and put a big dint in your confidence - ultimately, though, it's your call.

I doubt me saying "wake up and smell the coffee" would help you with your designs at all. Just like it doesn't help me, it's unproductive and offense.

Im well aware I have to 'roll with the punches', but I just don't need the unnecessary ones.

Hey Laura, just to say I don't think it was meant as offensive but I can understand how sensitive this is all for you.

Hang in there, your best is yet to come :icon_inlove:

I really need some advice! My idiot boss has just sacked me! I want to shop him in for employing people the way he does! How can i go about doing this?
Also when he was 'designing' something he would take logos and text from other peoples websites/brochures, so basically plagiarism! So i really want to get him done for this and because he has treated me so badly! I dont have any hrs at costa yet, and its nor definate that i can work there! :icon_crying:

Please help me

thankyou for your time

Laurajanedesigns

I feel for you. Speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau about your options. They'll also tell you what income support you can claim until you get something sorted.

With no contract and being there such a short time you wouldn't stand a chance, probably the best that would come out of all this if you shop him in is he would get a slap on the wrist, do you really want the aggro? Learn from this and move forward is my advice.

A call to the HMRC (anonymous, if you like) will make him vulnerable to all kinds of hassle/possible prosecution (and you can bet that his 'arrangement' with you isn't the only dodgy practice he's engaged in). As I said earlier, you should have basic employment rights even without a paper contract so, as suggested above, speak to the CAB (assuming they haven't manged to shut them all down yet). Sounds like you'll be doing a massive favour for the next poor sod that takes his bait too.

I know it's a bitch but this latest twist is the entirely predictable outcome of what sounded like a horribly unfair situation and, in that sense, may just be the push you've been looking for to move on to better things.

With no contract and being there such a short time you wouldn't stand a chance, probably the best that would come out of all this if you shop him in is he would get a slap on the wrist, do you really want the aggro? Learn from this and move forward is my advice.

Indeed, especially with the lack of paying tax and NI etc, could be best to just forget all about it and try and get that job in Costa sorted as soon as you possibly can.

(Forgot you said it was only three months - will probably have an impact on your legal status [still check with the CAB] but get the taxman on his back anyway).

My opinion - report to HMRC. Employment as described is illegal and the events will happen again and again if unchecked.

We are in the 21st century. This must not be allowed to continue.

Good thing that you are out... can you sign on & get some money? I know how difficult it is to get a job at the moment but any real job will be better than the last one.

BTW - thing about retiring at 75 is that as HMG puts the retirement age up and up we will all end up only being able to draw a pension at 75.

Agree with everyone here, get outta there - even if it means coffee shopping it for a while, build the portfolio up as people say and get another job - it seems like you won't gain anything from being where you are and if he's as stuck in his ways as you say, you'll never be able to stretch your creative wings.

Something else to consider is the quality of your portfolio. Whilst working for him are you producing the kind of stuff you'd put in a portfolio and present to a top ad agency at interview? If the answer is no then you're not any worse off working in a coffee shop.

Be aware though that if you go down the full time freelance route, there are a lot of recruitment agents that wont see your experience as relevant and so wont take you on their books in the future (employed studio exposure only). Having said that, if you can get enough freelance work to pay a good full time wage, why would you need to be applying to recruitment agents.

It sounds like you are really deflated based on some bad luck and shabby treatment but don't give up! By all means go back to Costa part-time but my advice would be to ditch the other job and invest any spare time you have in pooling your resources into a website, sharp portfolio and blog to promote the skills you worked hard to acquire. Quite a few studios have internships available, so perhaps consider working a day a week at an agency to get some really usable experience. Maybe go onto People Per Hour and bid for some commercial work of your own or just tout about job boards and forums until something sticks. Competitions are a good way of keeping your eye in if you feel that your creativity is being shelved - flex your muscles and you might even get some cash out of it. I quite like Eyeka - but there's loads out there. Ultimately, and I cannot emphasise this enough, just don't give up - you will get your foot in the door somewhere eventually who deserves you and you'll realise that it was worth it in the long-run. Creative Pool is a great resource and might just identify that although it doesn't seem like it, you have more than just 2 options (The devil or the deep blue sea). Good Luck :)

I have my own business and work from home, as yet have not employed anyone because of the legal responsibilities, your employer is employing you illegally, I would get some advice from a solicitor and see if anything can be done, if not for you but to prevent him doing this to someone else!

Back