I HATE my design job...

How can I make sure i get a reference from him? He may just be vindictive and not give me one as he is very unprofessional.

Can always use Costa for a reference on you as a person and as an employee, and then take the portfolio you build up whilst working there to act as your reference for design capabilities perhaps?

I wouldn't rely on this clown for a reference! If he can't be bothered to put you on the books, the likelihood he'll even give you one (a reference that is) is nill! Sack him off, forget everything he's taught you and start again.

A big thank you to everyone who replied and shared their thoughts! I've only been on this site for a few days and i think its fantastic. Such good advice, ideas and inspiration. Although i am pretty glum that i have to go back to costa, i know its the right thing to do for the moment. I just hope i can get my freelancing off the ground.

Why don't you cheer us all up and show us some of your boss' work and then show us what you suggested (and was ultimately rejected)?

:D

Laura,

Just to echo and amplify - at the moment you don't have a job; you have indentured servitude. Get the hell out. Now. Get gone and don't go back.

Working a rubbish job is rubbish, but it'll keep you housed. You're going to get the square root of FA out of this guy, so I'd accept that now and mark it down as lesson learned.

-PB

How can I make sure i get a reference from him? He may just be vindictive and not give me one as he is very unprofessional.

Would you really want someone who is 'very unprofessional' to supply a reference for you? Doesn't sound like you'd be choosing portfolio material from the work you've done for him anyway - I'd just erase the whole episode from your career history if I were you.

My partner was in a not entirely dissimilar situation to you way back and her previous employer provided a reference that, fortunately, the people she now works for knew to be very badly misinformed on the basis of her interview; she would have had a strong legal case for 'negligent misstatement' had she not secured the job - you might not be so lucky.

Check this beauty out guys! This is just one example out of 100s!
To be honest I gave up trying to put my creative flair into them after a couple of weeks of being here!
:icon_cursing:

Attachments

• wow_factor_A5_poster.jpg
    wow_factor_A5_poster.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 41
Quickly, cheaply and temporarily change the colour of your car? This whole enterprise gets more and more iffy ...

Quickly, cheaply and temporarily change the colour of your car? This whole enterprise gets more and more iffy ...

Quite off topic but.... Vinyl wrapping is actually very comon. Tour busses, touring cars, vans,.. the list goes on. It's massively cheaper than respraying or airbrushing especially if if the livery is likely to need removing at any point.

eg:
140278d1261882526-any-places-vinyl-wrap-car-bay-area-ca-audi.jpg

Is that your ride then BigDave?! :icon_tongue_smilie:

I can't imagine someone wanting to vinyl wrap their ford mondeo estate though haha!

Holy crap! That's hideous! Get out now!
I would seriously think about getting some legal advice. You might be able to make some demands and if he doesn't comply get some compensation or at least make sure no one else ends up in the same boat as you.

Back