Graphic Design books

sarah_a

Hey,

So am trying to build up my library of graphic design books, so far i only have a few
does any one know what books are best to have?

thanx sarah :icon_smile:

I'd recommend "How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul" by Adrian Shaughnessy. It covers everything from setting up as a freelancer to dealing with difficult clients and keeping your interest in the industry when you have a slew of soul-destroying jobs to do.

Although it's not strictly a design book, if you're a into working with websites I'll also recommend Steve Krug's masterpiece on web usability "Don't Make Me Think".

I have the following :

All of the 'index' books by Jim Krause. I find them really good for sparking off ideas.

41V4KSHCZVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

They have merged 3 of the books into one bigger volume. Mines came as a series of 3 mini versions in a clear plastic box. Looks pretty cool :)

5a_8.JPG

In addition to the 3 you have in the big book (layout / idea / colour) I also have type idea index and design basics index.

The Logo Lounge series is very good for logo inspiration.

51amuqEy4wL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A good book for learning to create files for print is Getting It Right In Print

51F2KGKFYVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Last edited:
If you're into advertising campaigns, strategies and creative thinking 'The advertising concept book' is absolutely fantastic. Sparks a million advertising ideas off in your head and gives interesting and helpful insights and facts. Quality book

How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
by Adrian Shaughnessy

A Smile in the Mind: Witty Thinking in Graphic Design
by Beryl McAlhone and David Stuart

Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, and Students
by Ellen Lupton

Type and Typography
by Phil Baines and Andrew Haslam

Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
by Keir Elam

Can you tell I love Typography? :icon_biggrin:

Cheers Andy.

I'm tempted to get that book at that price, if you've got any links to reviews at hand then that would be welcome, otherwise I'll scower the net some more tomorrow.

Hard to say no at a tenner!

I've actually just decided I'm buying it on the way home. Give me a month or so and I'll pop you my own little review, found this one on the Amazon site though (Even though it is a five years old):

"genius., 8 Dec 2003
By Bill Hunt "muddyclay" (London UK) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Wally Olins on B(r)and (Hardcover)
I've followed Wally Olins career over the years and was intrigued when he released 'On Brand'. I bought a copy immediately and my first comment would be in agreement with a comment on the back of the book - this is the only book on branding you ever haver have to buy. Intelligent, insightful, compelling, inspiring. Wally knows the industry inside out and this really comes across in every page of the book. Whatever level you're at - student, academic, seasoned marketeer, you can learn from this book.
I look forward to learning more from his next book.

Buy it - it will change your life."

I'm not gonna lie it does sound a bit like he was orgasming as he wrote this, but I'm sure the book is amazing and can teach alot.

Yeah cheers Andy. I've read the review on amazon.co.uk and .com, will scower the net for more tomorrow!

Looks a snip at that price, if it's as good as has been said it will be my first design literature purchase.

Oh Pixels Ink you pinched all my suggestions! hehe

I adore Graphic Design books their is nothing quite like taking half an hour out, to get 'inspired' and envious all in one fell swoop. My boyfriend goes crazy at the amount I spend a month on books!

I would also suggest the following each of which is just one book in a series (the brochure design ones are a particular favorite).

I would recommend more but it would take me days to list them all! :icon_biggrin:

I will deffinatly be checking out Andy's suggestion - this one I havent seen!

opps my other image doesnt seem to have attached but the book is - The big book of design ideas 3

Attachments

• 51HSPDC7MYL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA115_.jpg
    51HSPDC7MYL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA115_.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You started reading On Brand yet? When I went to get it they were out of stock so I bought 'The Brand Handbook' by Wally Olins instead, which I read in about a week (not a big read but good guidebook to follow on from On Brand though). Got On Brand since then though and it seems like a brilliant book. Really insightful and very thought provoking and informative. Feel like I'm slowly becoming a brand genius now and keep catching myself looking out for little things. Being a graphic designer really does slowly turn you into the worlds biggest loser haha

Haha agreed. Pointing out that this logo does this, that one is rumoured to have cost that. Very sad :icon_lol:

It arrived yesterday for me, after dispatching the monday before :icon_confused:.

I've not started reading it yet but it seems quite simplistic and easy to read, definitely nicely designed as you would expect. I'll start on it tomorrow and probably finish it within the fortnight. At £8 or so you can't go wrong, hoping to get a few more books in after this if I find it useful.

Yeah, having a full library of decent design books is essential I reckon...great for inspiration, or just for those lazy afternoons with a brew :)

A Smile in the Mind: Witty Thinking in Graphic Design
Beryl McAlhone and David Stuart

Imprint
Daniel Eatock

The Advertising Concept Book
Pete Barry

The Art of Looking Sideways
Alan Fletcher ... [I keep promising myself to spend a day reading this from cover to cover!]

Stop Stealing Sheep (and find out how type works)
Erik Spiekerman

BASIC Design - Print and Finish
(Infact any of the BASIC DESIGN series are decent)
Ambrose / Harris

Making and Breaking the Grid
Timothy Samara

Designed by Peter Saville
Frieze

...to name but a few! :icon_notworthy:

Back