Getting Started

Your student debt doesn't have any affect whatsoever on your credit rating. It's not seen as a normal loan. I'm £14,000 in student debt, it doesn't matter one iota to my credit rating :icon_wink:.

So I now understand (thanks for correcting me on that score). Banks, however, are sketchy at best pre-roll-out on how debts accrued under the new system will figure in applications for financial products (in which credit rating is only one qualifying factor): current attitudes to lending wouldn't fill me with optimism, though.

I also think that the huge fees that unis charge will force companies to change the way they look at job candidates. Degrees will not be tha be all and end all and more on the job training like NVQ will be taken serously. And those that go to uni may think about it a lot more, as many on my course didn't and where just there for the uni exprence. But at the moment we are in a very arkward transition stage. and it is hard to know what to do. Well thats just my theory :icon_smile:

I think it will probably result in degree courses that are more overtly vocational: people will have to graduate with something of higher value career-wise to justify the expense and keep the institutions viable. In this brave new world it's the traditional, academic studies that will become the preserve of the better placed - the rest of us (or at least those who are prepared to carry the risk) will effectively be attending training colleges which award degrees.

Back