Clients from Hell

I know it's not good practice but as yet, I don't tend to use a contract.

I do however tell them my terms in my e-mails which is almost as good and is binding.

So, what happens if you ask for a deposit, complete all the work, and a client doesn't like it? You keep the 50% and take a loss on the rest?

That's pretty much how it works and again, it's a pretty standard agreement.
"50% non-returnable depots on starting the project. 50% balance on completion before handing over the files."
Not that I just take the money and run.
I do my level best to deliver even if it does mean I go above and beyond.

And... what if they say it's not good enough, only pay you 50% but still use it?

If they were to use what you'd done without full payment then they'd be using your intellectual property without your permission which is against the law.
Not that this has ever happened to me.

I know it's not good practice but as yet, I don't tend to use a contract.

I do however tell them my terms in my e-mails which is almost as good and is binding.

That's pretty much how it works and again, it's a pretty standard agreement.
"50% non-returnable depots on starting the project. 50% balance on completion before handing over the files."
Not that I just take the money and run.
I do my level best to deliver even if it does mean I go above and beyond.

If they were to use what you'd done without full payment then they'd be using your intellectual property without your permission which is against the law.
Not that this has ever happened to me.

Ok, that's so helpful!

Thank you so much for all your feedback and advice on this. It gives me a clear way forward. All I can do now is send them an email and see what happens. If they get offended by my proposed changes, so be it. I guess I'll just have to put myself out there, look for new clients and hope for the best. :cool:

Things can seem clearer with the benefit of hindsight.

It's harder to try and implement things like terms after the fact but I guess you have to weight it up?
Carry on with a vague agreement, being exploited and them dictating to you what's happening?
or... run the risk of offending them and potentially losing them as a client?

Thing is, from what you've said you have done a lot for them and added a lot of value to their business but they do seem to be taking a few liberties.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert but I've learned a few things the hard way and I do still tend to be a bit soft myself.
I just found it easier if I ask for a deposit (as per my terms).

Strange thing is, people tend to respect and value you more if money and an agreement is in place.

I've been thinking of putting my terms on a page on my site so it can be seen and I can also point people there so it's all in place, in the open and transparent.

I've seen others do this and I have a link to one which may help a little.

I'll PM a link to an example for you to take a look at.

Things can seem clearer with the benefit of hindsight.

It's harder to try and implement things like terms after the fact but I guess you have to weight it up?
Carry on with a vague agreement, being exploited and them dictating to you what's happening?
or... run the risk of offending them and potentially losing them as a client?

Thing is, from what you've said you have done a lot for them and added a lot of value to their business but they do seem to be taking a few liberties.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert but I've learned a few things the hard way and I do still tend to be a bit soft myself.
I just found it easier if I ask for a deposit (as per my terms).

Strange thing is, people tend to respect and value you more if money and an agreement is in place.

I've been thinking of putting my terms on a page on my site so it can be seen and I can also point people there so it's all in place, in the open and transparent.

I've seen others do this and I have a link to one which may help a little.

I'll PM a link to an example for you to take a look at.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I really need to create a website for myself. To be honest, I've been a bit lazy when it comes to managing my own business. I put all my energy into making them successful and neglected to look for new clients or build a reputation for myself. I guess 2020 is the year to make a few changes. Thanks again!! :)

Doing some work for a new client --- all my clients are new as just started trading ----

Anyway - I mocked up their logo on beige cushions.
Request I got back was could I mock them up on white cushions.

Eh.... what shade of white?

I know how to do it...
ah, my sarcasm didn't come across.

My take on clients from hell

“my son can do this”

“i just through this together and didnt have a lot of time. It shouldnt take you too long”

“how many revisions do i get?”

“your price is a little high” (then go on 《site removed》 and get a 5 dollar logo why you contacting me)

Yep, I've never even bothered using these sorts of sites, prices are too low and competition is too high. They make you jump through so many hoops too. PPH actually want you to upload documentation to prove you have the skills you've listed on your profile before you can even pitch for work. It never used to be like that, though you could probably just fake it quite easily given some of the work I've seen on there.

I keep an eye out because once in a while you'll see a job that actually looks like a pretty worthwhile, but they're few and far between. Certain sectors that aren't so saturated seem to do much better than most design-related fields.
Hey Paul,
Not only design-related fields but many others exhibit saturation. In every field, there is hard competition. One needs to pour day and night struggle for achieving success. So, the profession or field whatever may be, I believe in constant struggle, optimism, and patience.
All the best.
Thanks

Back