Career change... kind of.

ARRIVALS

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been freelancing since graduating from university 3 years ago. Luckily I've managed to get solid work constantly for those 3 years. It's mainly logo design and brand identity that I do, with a bit of design print and web design as well. I just happen to enjoy it more than anything else.

Recently I've been doing a lot of iPad and mobile user interface design and I'm loving it. As some of you may know, I don't possess knowledge of html etc, so my designs are usually handed over to developers to be built. I've got no problem with that, I think I'd find that side of things pretty boring.

My question is, if I wanted to continue with this side of design full time and started hunting for jobs in this area, would I need to be a 'developer' aswell? Or is there a chance I could get employed as just the designer of this sort of thing?

:icon_confused:

Thanks!

You could just be a user interface designer or a user experience designer, maybe some knowledge of HTML and CSS mockups would be useful. Try and find some where to join as a junior UI designer, at Uni I worked with a couple of UI designers who studied HCI at masters and they said that helped them a lot in terms of user research etc. so that may be another option. But I'd just go and talk to a agency or start-up and see how that goes

I've not investigated it properly but I understand that the latest version of QX incorporates design-view tablet publishing (with hints that phone optimisation will follow), and - if it hasn't already - I'd expect ID to get on board with this in the near future. If code's not your bag, I'd either a) look into people's experience of the first Quark release, and/or b) sit it out while Adobe catch up.

Back