Which 3D Package?

Jimlad

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get more into 3D work (3D illustration, modelling for games etc), and frankly the choices out there are quite staggering. I'm also quite shocked to learn that some major packages aren't available for Mac, which is what I work on.

I learned basic 3D at uni with Maxon Cinema 4D, and I understand it's known to be the easiest to learn with, if comparatively limited. Can anyone offer any info or advice as far as recommending the most suitable 3D package for me to really sink my teeth into? I'm after an excellent all-round package really, not something that only does one task. I've heard plenty of the names (Maya, 3DS Max, Lightwave, Strata...) before but any insight into which ones are most widely valued in the creative industries would be greatly appreciated - I'd hate to waste my time becoming skilled in a 3D package few companies use!

revit, max, alias (those three are autodesk), rhino, solidworks, pro-engineer

They're the area's to look into in my opinion.

Breakdown for area's of use
revit - architecture
max - architecture, games, product design
alias - video editing type 3d
rhino - kind of a cheaper option of the above
soldiworks/pro-engineer - engineering

autodesk - they're the company that makes the software (or buys the other software company for monopoly)

Thanks Levi I thought it might be something like that, but hadn't yet gotten round to asking mr google about it.

Try this, it's the most cost effective 3D package around, they used it on Avatar!

2hmmz6b.jpg

But Kelly Brooke (who's in Piranha 3D)...if it wasn't for the glasses she'd have your eye out.

What a way to go blind...makes a change eh, Jimlad?

You seem to know a lot about it Typo...
Berry said:
Try this, it's the most cost effective 3D package around, they used it on Avatar!

2hmmz6b.jpg

Aren't they for seeing the "Void Stuff"?
Void_stuff.gif

Anyway, I would've liked to go with 3DS max but I'm leaning towards Maya, as it's available for the mac and is pretty widely used for film and tv, as well as the games industry. Any thoughts? I've heard it's got a bitch of a learning curve.

Jimlad said:
You seem to know a lot about it Typo...

Aren't they for seeing the "Void Stuff"?
Void_stuff.gif

Anyway, I would've liked to go with 3DS max but I'm leaning towards Maya, as it's available for the mac and is pretty widely used for film and tv, as well as the games industry. Any thoughts? I've heard it's got a bitch of a learning curve.

Nice, real nice.:clap:

Back