Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to ask a business advisor?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by bigdave, Mar 3, 2011.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I've got a meeting with an independent business advisor at the weekend to find out what needs to be done to get my own business up and running. When I spoke to her to arrange the appointment I asked if I needed to bring anything, she replied "Just bring your questions" and thats my problem! Because I don't know what I need to know, I don't know what questions I need to ask.

I don't want to turn up and just stare blankly at her for an hour so I though I'd turn to you lot for some help... What kind of things should I be asking at this meeting? What sort of information and guidance should I expect from her?

I know this sounds pretty stupid and raises some questions as to why I'm going to see her if I don't know what I need from her but seeing someone like this is supposed to really help get the business side of a startup company organised and I don't want it to be a waste of time (and money).
  2. berry

berry Active Member

Dave: give me ring at work and I'll spend 15 minutes one to one with you t o go thru things.You can find my number on my website. just mention Design Forums
  3. GraphicDesignBoss

GraphicDesignBoss Junior Member

Good on you Berry for helping out!
  4. GraphicDesignBoss

GraphicDesignBoss Junior Member

You don't know what you don't know eh?

I would just ask what are your goals with your business. What motivates you? Why are you starting out on your own? I would also be doing a business plan and a marketing plan. Most governments have templates that you can use. This is a very good way to discover what you want to do. Even if you change your mind it will give you a direction.

Hope that helps!
  5. Russell

Russell Member

Not sure if you've had the meeting yet but I'd agree in getting some advice on making a business plan and a marketing plan. It is a great way to solidify your aims as it can be really easy to put strategic/ planning work on the back burner when you don't have a set plan of action.